Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   need recomendations for short tours in Scotland and england (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-recomendations-for-short-tours-in-scotland-and-england-19857/)

barbara Dec 26th, 1997 10:04 PM

need recomendations for short tours in Scotland and england

Am going to UK end of May and June 1998, and travelling alone. I don't really want one really long tour as I would like to do some places on my own. But perhaps mini-tours, such as the Highlands, etc..,for a few days. Any recommendations?? thanx

Lanny Dec 27th, 1997 02:05 PM

A number of major tour companies operate throughout England/Scotland including Globus, Insight, Trafalgar, Thomas Cook. While some of these companies specialize in longer tours, affiliated companies provide shortie tours to one sight or a couple of sights. If you are starting off your time in Britain in a major city such as London the concierge of your hotel can provide you with a bushel basket of brochures for any number of companies through which you can arrange anything from a half day, one day, two day with an overnight stay, four, five, seven, 10 and 14 day tours. I have frequently done a one day tour out of London to sights of interest (Leeds Castle, Bleinheim Palace, Oxford, Stonehenge etc. etc.) as well as having taken a 7 night tour of the English south from London to Lands End and return (they called the tour the Glorious South and it sure was), and once with my mother a 2 week whiz past every sight in England, Wales and Scotland, London to London. Similar arrangements can be made from Edinburgh. While I now prefer to rent a car and take myself to various sections of England and do a complete tour myself of a specific area (I too travel alone most of the time), if this is your first trip to Britain then I recommend you take a few short tours to determine what it is that interests you most for future trips. The mini tours are exceedingly well done and there is not, when it gets down to it, much to choose between the various tour companies. So pick one with an itinerary that suits you and go for it. Just make sure when you read the brochure you pick the one that says "visit". Visit means you will go through the sight in question. "See", frequently used in brochures, means you get to see the sight as you drive past it. Also, if you are going to be in London for a few days, take advantage of the regular tour boats that sail the Thames and take trips on your own to Reading, Kew Gardens, etc. You can disembark for hours then catch a later boat back. If you need more information, feel free to e-mail me. Lanny.

Robbie Dec 28th, 1997 08:29 AM

My husband and I are going to England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland in May also. I went to a number of travel agencies and picked up lots of brochures on trips to Great Britain. I went through all these tour brochures and Travel books on Great Britain and decided to take a two week tour with Globus Tours which will take us to the above mentioned places. Then we will stay in London another three days on our own. You can choose to tour with a group for a few days then go it on your own if you want to. I was suprised at the well thought out options that are available to travelers. You can have your airfare taken care of a rental car and accomadations at hotels and B&Bs arranged ahead of time. The options were vast and appeared to be set up to attract both the novice and experienced traveler. Go explore the book stores and travel agencies and enjoy your vacation. Keep tuned to the travel forum. I have learned alot of helpful information that has helped me plan our upcoming trip to Great Britain. Have fun on trip Barbara.

Helpful hints.

1. Make sure you get your passport paperwork and
done by end of January. Some travel agencies
will take your pictures for the passports free
and provide the necessary papers you need if you
book with them.

2. I have heard alot about the cost of exchanging
money. Try to find a bank in your area that
will exhange some cash for you before you go at
no cost. I live in small town and we have a bank
that will exchange dollars to pounds at no cost

3. If you plan to use public transportation in London you can purchase a three, four or seven day Travelcard. This card must be purchased in
US and you can get information on this from the
British Tourist Auhtority which has two offices in the US 1) 551 fifth ave.,7th floor, New York NY 0176-0799 1800-462-2748 or 212-986-2200. B) 625 N. Michigan ave., Suite 1510, Chicago, IL 60611

Rosalie Lancaster Dec 28th, 1997 12:00 PM

My husband and I are traveling through the British Isles this summer, also. We have been to Europe on other occasions and found hotel rooms in the Bavarian areas to be immaculate, no matter what the cost range. Will we find the same in Great Britian? Does anyone have knowledge of the Minotel Hotel chain? We located it on the internet and they sound lovely for a good price? We are hoping to stay in the $100 - $130 range (including taxes, etc) but that is looking a little unrealistic for the summer months. We, too, are undecided about mini-tours vs. a long tour when we leave London. My husband is a little apprehensive about driving over there so we are weighing guided tours vs. bus or trains/luggage travel. We have always gone independently before. We would love input from people who have gone the independent train/bus route. (Unfortunately, I am not a light packer.)Let me hear from you more experienced travellers. Rosalie

Rosalie Lancaster Dec 28th, 1997 12:01 PM

My husband and I are traveling through the British Isles this summer, also. We have been to Europe on other occasions and found hotel rooms in the Bavarian areas to be immaculate, no matter what the cost range. Will we find the same in Great Britian? Does anyone have knowledge of the Minotel Hotel chain? We located it on the internet and they sound lovely for a good price? We are hoping to stay in the $100 - $130 range (including taxes, etc) but that is looking a little unrealistic for the summer months. We, too, are undecided about mini-tours vs. a long tour when we leave London. My husband is a little apprehensive about driving over there so we are weighing guided tours vs. bus or trains/luggage travel. We have always gone independently before. We would love input from people who have gone the independent train/bus route. (Unfortunately, I am not a light packer.)Let me hear from you more experienced travellers. Rosalie

Rosalie Lancaster Dec 28th, 1997 12:14 PM