Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need reassurance on Greece Islands itinerary

Need reassurance on Greece Islands itinerary

May 3rd, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Need reassurance on Greece Islands itinerary

I can't believe I'm leaving in just two weeks! After doing tons of research, I've put together the following itinerary:

Wednesday, May 18
Arrive Athens in the evening.
Stay at Adrian Hotel for 3 nights

Saturday, May 21
Leave Athens -- destination unknown -- two days to fill.

Monday, May 23- Friday, May 27
Santorini - staying at Esperas Hotel

This is a bold move for me to leave the two days open, and I just want to make sure there isn't a reason why I shouldn't wing it.

As for filling in those two days, I don't think that Mykonos is for us, and was thinking of seeing/staying in Paros or Naxos (or both) before moving on to Santorini.

But I am open to any other suggestions. Is four days in Santorini too long, that a day trip to Paros or Naxos would suffice? In that case, any other island we should consider for those two days? By the way, I'm not opposed to Mykonos, and would consider if it that turns out to be the way to go.

Thanks for your help,

Pat C.

May 3rd, 2005, 05:57 AM

mykonos is much nicer than Naxos in my opinion. Great beaches and as you are not going in the height of summer it will not be insane. I would suggest it. Paros is also ok but of the 3 I like Mykonos for the food, hotels, beaches and availability of nightlife
May 3rd, 2005, 08:16 AM

Daytrips to any of these islands won't really be very satisfying since the ferry schedule will only give you just a few short hours to explore. I suggest that if you want to see another island you go directly to the one of your choice for those extra days. If you take a night boat from Athens/Piraeus you won't waste any daylight hours in transit. Paros, Naxos or Ios are good choices because of their proximity to Santorini, but you can get to Mykonos from Athens first by bus to Rafina then out to Mykonos on a fast ferry, and then from Mykonos to Santorini on the Flying Dolphin, but until May 30 the FD only travels on Mon., Tues., Fri., Sat. and Sun., so plan accordingly.

Search this Thread