Need reasonably price hotel in City of London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a reasonable place to stay in London next week near St Pauls Underground. I have some business to attend so Internet access is helpful. If it has breakfast that's a plus. I figure somewhere around $150.00. My meetings are around Newgate street and I can walk if necessary so anything near is good. Any decent hotel recommendation would be welcome.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Hotels are several light years from my areas of expertise, and my first reaction to the question was to roll around the floor laughing.

We do, after all, take it as an affront to our national virility if we hear that property (in the minor dialects of English, "real estate&quot anywhere else on the planet is cheaper than in the City.

But a few seconds on priceline.co.uk disabused me. There are vacancies on March 12 at Club Quarters in Gracechurch St (£63.45 per night) and Ludgate Hill (£65.17), and The Chamberlain, Minories (£70). There are also vacancies listed on the site, purportedly in The City, which are actually dosshouses miles away. But some, like the Goswell Rd Citadines (£85) which are actually OK, and perfectly walkable (I spent five years doing just that walk every morning), though not within the Square Mile.

But anywhere in EC2, EC3 or EC4 is within walking distance of anywhere else in The City: that's the whole point. A lot of EC1 is in Islington, and the more wimpish might find the walk (c. 30 mins) a bit beyond them.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Cotswold, thats why I love this site! Thank you for your prompt reply and I am glad I made your belly tickle. I did get a recommendation about Grange Holborne Hotel. Is that a decent place? Let me know if you have heard of it and its reputation. Thanks,
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Sorry.

As I said above, I know virtually nothing about London hotels.

All I can tell you is that the Grange, Holborn (googling's easier if you get the spelling right), has clean public loos - handy if you're walking from the centre to Islington and suddenly get caught short. It struck me as a bit pokey, and the walk to the City is very, very boring (though check the tfl site for buses). But on your budget, what else can you expect, and it might be a few seconds quicker to get the Central Line from Holborn.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM
esm

frankdaddy, I've stayed at Grange Holborn and it was fine. I don't remember the exact rate (it was a special rate for an event); I think it was 150 pounds including breadfast.

They have a web site www.grangehotels.com

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
esm

Sorry, I meant breakfast!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply about the Grange. The hotel is sold out and so is the Threadneedle. I might have to look at some others that are a little further away. Any other suggestions would be quite helpful. Is there a site that you can input an address and it will tell you which hotels are the closest and have a map pointing to it? That might be helpful. Thanks for your replys.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Try the Smoothhound site - www.smoothhound.co.uk - you can search by postcode, and have a link to a map site with every listing showing exactly where the proprty is located. A very comprehensive site, I've used them in my visits to the UK and found them really helpful. Some hotels can be booked direlcty through the site, others must be contacted directly.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for Priceline, though you must do your homework and know what you are doing. www.biddingfortravel.com is a magnificent resource. (And, you can likely do much, much better than $150)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:42 PM

One more vote for Priceline. I got the Waldorf Hilton on Aldwych for $120 per night. It was great!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I will check on your suggestions. I do have an "in" with my company that gets pretty good rates for some of the properties. I am looking into Millenium London Mayfair Hotel but it is 2 miles from my office. Have you ever stayed in the St Pauls Club Quarters that is another choice.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM

There's also laterooms.com. It has quite a large list of London hotels.