Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need quick answer about ATM card (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-quick-answer-about-atm-card-124685/)

Laura May 18th, 2001 05:06 AM

Need quick answer about ATM card

I'm leaving in a week and need to know about ATM cards. I'm planning on using my ATM card. But it is only a debit card (with Cirrus/Honor/Plus logos). It doesn't have a Visa or MC on it. Those must be what we call a check card. Am I going to have any difficuties? I keep reading everywhere about using the ATM card. Is it debit or check card? Thanks

r May 18th, 2001 05:14 AM

While Visa and MC offer debit cards (my bank's atm card -- a debit card -- now has a MC logo), it really is the Cirrus/Plus logos that will do the trick. If it works at an ATM in one place, it should work elsewhere. Just be sure to have a 4-digit PIN, as many European ATMs accept only 4-digit numbers. <BR>

John May 18th, 2001 05:23 AM

Laura: <BR>Before leaving for abroad I always call my mastercard bank and let them know my travel destinations and dates. Never had a problem using it abroad. While I do not have a debit card, I expect your debit card bank will answer your question. <BR>Bon voyage <BR>John

Terry May 18th, 2001 05:28 AM

I've used my ATM debit card in machines with the Plus symbol in France, Spain and Italy with no problems whatsoever. I was charged each time I used it though, but it was worth it for the convenience.

Angie May 18th, 2001 06:31 AM

I understand that ATMs are regularly available in Europe for withdrawing cash from your checking account, but I hate to carry cash either in the US or abroad. I have gotten accustomed to carrying $20 or less at a time and using my debit at stores. All stores in US now, grocery, convenience, Walmart etc. let you run your debit card through at the checkout and type in your 4 digit PIN with no service charge like a credit card. Is this common in Europe as well. Specifically I will only be visiting the large cities of London, Paris, and Rome. We will not be out in the countryside.

Shannon May 18th, 2001 06:38 AM

Laura, <BR> <BR>What you have is just an ATM card, not a debit card. This means that you while you won't be able to use it at shops, you will have no problem using it any ATM in Europe has long as it has the Cirrus and Plus logos. You will, however, probably be charged a fee (usually around $2.00) everytime you withdraw money from a back that did not issue the card.

Martha May 18th, 2001 07:38 AM

Angie: <BR> Like you I use my ATM/debit card all the time at every store. In Europe,though, I have not seen these machines at check-out counters anywhere. I do use my card at all the ATM machines and have no problem getting small amounts of money. It just costs about $1.75 per transaction with my bank.

rlk May 18th, 2001 08:48 AM

I've used my ATM card to withdraw cash from my acct on recent visit to Italy --- in fact called my bank yesterday to verify the exact amount & the transaction fees. I was charged $1.25 per transaction; and fyi, last week's exchange rate of USD to Italian Lire, translated 300,000 lire into $139 US Dollars.

Caitlin May 18th, 2001 09:38 AM

Angie, I don't think you'll run into debit machines where you enter your PIN in Europe, but if your card has a MC or Visa logo, you can use it at any business that accepts MC or Visa as you would a credit card, and the charge will be deducted from your checking account as with a debit transaction. You should be awar, though, that--depending on country and and area--many fewer smaller businesses like convenience stores and cafes or small restaurants and shops accept credit or debit cards than in the US, so it's always useful to have some cash on you.

Donna May 18th, 2001 12:52 PM

FWIW I called Fleet Bank to be sure my ATM/Debit card was fine for overseas use. They said no problem - but their fee is $ 5 per transaction which seemed rather hefty to me from what I have been reading here.

Michael May 19th, 2001 10:54 PM

My wife and I just spent 15 days in Italy and had only one minor problem with ATMs. (In one Rome neighborhood, we had to visit three machines before we found one that took our cards). But in most places, including some very small towns, it was easy to use ATMs.Just look for machines that take Star or Cirrus. Most Bancomat machines do and they're everywhere. Our bank warned us about the 4-digit code but my wife's 5-digit passcode worked, too. <BR>Have a great trip.

Kathy May 20th, 2001 07:26 AM

Has anyone had a problem with a PIN beginning with zero? I've been told that PINS beginning with zero are not universally accepted.