Need quick advice re: passport renewal for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I’ve made a last-minute decision to fly to Rome to see my sister. Leaving October 12, returning October 18. My current passport expires on April 20, 2019. Am I ok to show up at the airport with this, or do I need to have expedited service? The State Dept website says 4-6 weeks. To complicate things, I’ll be in Georgia from Oct 4 - 10, so if it hasn’t arrived before then I’m in trouble. (I mean, before I leave, so I can make sure I have it).

Advice? Looks like $170 for an expedited passport from a local place here. Thanks.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 09:46 AM

US State Department (?) says Italy/EU requires at least six months of validity on your US passport. Sounds to me like you squeak in with two days of wiggle room!

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ges/Italy.html
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

That’s what i thought. I found another place that will do it for $129.00 - do you think I should just pay to make sure? Is this something the Italian authorities will note, in your experience?
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:21 AM

I think they have bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't pay the extra fees for this, no way.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, there is nothing wrong with your passport. What's the point of having a passport good for x years if you feel you need to renew it so far in advance of its expiration. It's often the airline anyway who is causing problems, they can deny you getting on the plane, so why don't you call them up if you are concerned, to make sure they will not deny you passage.

IATA Timatic is a company used by many airlines for such services, you can check them
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

IN fact, Italy only requires 3 months validty beyond your departure date, so 6 months is definitely fine. If you go to the Italian Embassy website, for example, and fill out the info to see if you need a visa, it tells you that you only need a passport valid 3 months. This is what they said when I put in equivalent info to yours, presuming you are a US citizen and have a US passport, of course.
<<You do not need an entry visa to enter Italy
  • You can enter Italy with your passport valid at least three months after the intended date of departure from Schengen Area.
  • Upon entering Italy, border authorities will require that you show documentation to justify the reasons for and the duration of your stay in Italy.>>
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! The outbound flight is Alitalia ticketed through Air France to Rome. The outbound is through Paris but by then I’m leaving so...hey! Maybe they’ll make me stay in Paris. I’m ok with that. ��
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

I looked it up and France has the same requirements - three months left on the US passport. Whew, so I’m ok. Thanks all, especially Christina for looking it up. I appreciate all your help.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 11:13 AM

I think you would be fine with current passport. I would have no problem going with that. Second, you have also two months, send it in for renewal. Recent reports are that renewals are pretty quick - three, four weeks.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 11:57 AM

My neighbor applied for her first passport ever this past April and had it in hand within 2 weeks, not expedited.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 12:04 PM

The rule for Schengen countries is 6 months validity.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>What's the point of having a passport good for x years if you feel you need to renew it so far in advance of its expiration<<

There are lots of reasons one might want to renew early.

>> . . . so why don't you call them up if you are concerned, to make sure they will not deny you passage.<<

That is pretty useless. What a Customer service agent says on the phone would have no effect/bearing on what a gate agent does at the airport.

But in any case, your passport has more than enough validity - not a problem. If you DID want to renew now though you do have plenty of time, even being away from home in early Oct.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hetismij2
The rule for Schengen countries is 6 months validity.

It is not the same to enter all Schengen countries.

France = 3 months https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/France.html

Italy = 6 months https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ges/Italy.html

But still, you have 6 months and three days validity from the time you leave Italy til the expiration date.