Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Pub Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-pub-advice-197303/)

Dallas Apr 10th, 2002 01:51 PM

Need Pub Advice

I'm an older woman, and I suppose a little old fashioned, because I would never go to a bar alone here in the states. Having said that, I would love to visit some of the pubs in Wales during my next trip. They seem more family oriented from what I've read. Would an older woman, by herself, be terribly out of place? And, NO, I am not a Troll! Thanks.

Jim Apr 10th, 2002 02:02 PM

Bubs in the UK generally don't have any problems with single older women (or otherwise!) going into pubs. Just ask around at your hotel for the more popular places so you don't end up in a 'locals' pub. Believe you me, doesn't matter weather your a single female, male or anything else, if you've not been born and raised within 20 metres of some british pubs I can think of, you'll get the same cold treatment so just ask around, you'll soon find the descent ones!

Laura Apr 10th, 2002 02:03 PM

Dallas, you will not feel out of place at all in a pub in wales. These are more like small family-owned restaurants here in the States than like our bars are. Yes, there are bars in pubs, but the tables where you eat are set apart from the bar, many times even in other rooms. Families eat meals in these pubs. And the Welsh are such friendly people that you will be making friends as you go along. Don't even hesitate to go for a meal in a pub. You'll love it. Ask for a ploughman's lunch (you can even get that at dinnertime, usually). It is a good-size chunk of crusty bread, a goodly amount of cheese ( I always ask for cheddar) a small salad and some pickle. And try a shandy with it. Have fun and please write and tell us about your experiences when you return. I hope you will love Wales as much as I do!

Ani Apr 10th, 2002 02:07 PM

Love Wales! Love pubs IN Wales! Out of curiousity Dallas...whre exactly in Wales are you going?

geoff Apr 10th, 2002 02:26 PM

Go and don't worry about it. As everyone's trying to tell you a pub is more like a small restaurant with a liquor license in the US. The smaller the place the better to talk to people. You would be more out of place if you didn't go. ;-) Enjoy.

Dallas Apr 10th, 2002 02:56 PM

Thanks, everyone! Yes, I'll do it. Laura, I can't wait to try a "ploughman's lunch." Ani, I'll be spending the first week in Cardiff and the second in Llandudno. The third week will be in Swindon, England. I've never been to Wales before; am really looking forward to it.

Laura Apr 10th, 2002 03:48 PM

Dallas, if you are going to Llandudno, there is a place called the Rabbit Hole (I believe that is the name) and it is all about Alice in Wonderland. Fabulous place. <BR><BR>Also, you will be soooo close to Conwy which is just the neatest town, just minutes away. You have to get over there and see it. If you do, try to have a meal at the Castle hotel (or better yet, stay there overnight, too, and try to get a room at the back which overlooks the castle). Conwy is one of my favorite places in Wales. <BR><BR>I hope you have a wonderful time, Dallas.

Ani Apr 10th, 2002 05:08 PM

Yes Laura-Conwy is fantastic!--Dallas hope you are going to visit some castles while in Wales (like Conwy-hint hint)...

Dallas Apr 10th, 2002 05:14 PM

OK, I'm going to go out on the limb a little farther here. In pubs, do you wait to be seated; is your order taken at your table by a waiter/waitress or do you go to the bar to order? I'd just like to know what to expect. Thanks for your patience.<BR><BR>Yes, Laura, I do plan to spend a day in Convy; can't stay the night there because I've already booked in Llandudno. Got a much better rate because I am staying a week.

Jim Apr 11th, 2002 03:57 AM

No, you don't wait to be seated, - you go straight to the bar and order. You sit wherever you want. You take your drink to the table yourself. Your meal will be brought to your table.

Dallas Apr 11th, 2002 05:59 AM

Thanks, Jim.

wine Apr 11th, 2002 07:33 AM

Usually, there will be a notice "order food here". They are getting rarer, but some pubs have a "public bar" and a bar that calls itself a "lounge" or "saloon" bar. As a single woman, you need to go to the saloon or lounge bar. The public bar will be mainly inhabited by men.

Laura Apr 11th, 2002 08:02 AM

Dallas, don't worry about which bar. Just go up to it, stand there, order your food, pay, then go find a table and wait for them to bring it. Very easy and you will love it. Try to get your server to talk to you..really won't be hard, because the Welsh are such a friendly people. Food is cheaper here than in England, too. But pay attention to what time they serve food. As in England, a lot of times the kitchen shuts down at 2 p.m. And try to find a tea room for tea and scones. <BR><BR>Glad to see you are going to Conwy. Please post a trip report when you come back!

Ani Apr 11th, 2002 09:41 AM

Hi again-since there are a couple of people who have mentioned their love of Wales I thought I would let you know that we have a ton of UK pictures on a website-and you can look at our pictures of Conwy castle and other area in N. Wales...the site is<BR>www.panteravb.com

Dallas Apr 11th, 2002 12:08 PM

I can't believe how nice everyone has been on this thread -- I almost didn't post it, because the last time I posted a question, I was blown away by unpleasant accusations! Laura, thanks so much for your information and kind wishes. Ani, I'll check out your website tonight. I love castles!