Need Paris hotel rec - would like some small luxuries for less than $500

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 2.5 weeks in Paris, London, and Amsterdam, and doing the London and Ams portions all on hotel points. The Paris portion will encompass DH's birthday, so I wanted to splurge a bit on those four nights.

I'm looking for a place that is unique, friendly (English is spoken), has air conditioning, and includes breakfast and internet in the price.

I really love the St. Germain area but wouldn't mind staying on one of the islands either.

Looking for your best suggestions!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
ira

Hi J,

> The Paris portion will encompass DH's birthday, so I wanted to splurge a bit on those four nights.<

In which case, I suggest one of the larger rooms at Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in St Germaine. From 134E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

It is not "plush", but instead of spending money on a hotel room that will be soon forgotten, take him to

Taillevent for lunch one day. www.taillevent.com

www.laperouse.fr/restaurant for dinner on another day.

Lunch or dinner at the <i>fiene de siecle</i>
www.le-train-bleu.com/

and Le Grand Finale at
www.lesombres-restaurant.com
where you can watch the lights twinkle on the Tour Eiffel as you toast each other with a bottle of excelllent champagne.
(You can visit the museum before dinner)

Will you be in Paris on a Sunday?

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM

My best friends stay at L'Abbaye every time they are in Paris, www.labbayeparis.com It could be what you're looking for.

I've also heard good things about the Jeu de Paume on the ile st. Louis.

Room sizes vary so specify their best if that's what you want.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Our favorite hotel in Paris is the Relais Saint Germain. It it half a block from the Odeon Metro station. It has air conditioning, a wonderful breakfast and the restaurant is one of the harder to get reservations in Paris. As a guest of the hotel you would be able to get reservations. We usually stay in the older part of the hotel. http://www.hotel-paris-relais-saint-germain.com
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 03:32 AM

Ira, surely you jest--you are suggesting the Bonaparte as a luxurious hotel?

Perhaps, if luxury means being in Paris!

I suggest that the OP look elsewhere for luxury.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:22 AM

Hello Jen:

Here is what I reported a few years ago about our stay at the Pont Royal Hotel:

THE 7TH IN PARIS: This was my first stay on the left bank. We chose Hotel Pont Royal on Rue Montelambert just off Rue de Bac. Henceforth, this will be my hotel in Paris. The lobby and bar staffmembers are uniformly great. I have a bad knee, so the Metro stairs are not an option, but the bus routes available from this hotel location more than make up. If art galleries are for you, the Pont Royal is in the midst of many. Our dining experiences were, well, fabulous. We were especially impressed with Ze Kitchen Galerie and L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (right in our hotel). The arrangement at Joel's is U-shaped counters with oversized stools where the diners face the wait staff. A bit unusual.

This is not the Ritz or even the Meurice, but I suppose the room rates put it close to the luxury category. It surely meets the other criteria you mentioned. Good luck.
Gradyghost
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:39 AM

We have been recommended the Hotel Lumen. It is new and in a central location.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:20 AM

You might like the d'Aubusson , right in the hear tof St Germain.

http://www.hoteldaubusson.com/discover-hotel-en.php

Another to check out would be Relais Christine.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:17 AM

InterContinental Paris Le Grand, right next to the Paris Opera. There are deals available for 355.50&euro; (depending on date) that include an automatic upgrade to a Superior Room, free use of the Club Lounge (which includes breakfast daily, snacks throughout the day, cocktails and beverages, free internet use, etc.), and other amenities.

It's a large hotel (thus the name Le Grand), but it has what I consider the best luxury value in Paris.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:55 AM

Another vote for Hotel D'Aubusson. It's a lovely, small hotel in the 6th, with an excellent location for sightseeing. Also features a jazz trio some nights in the downstairs bar. Some of the standard rooms are a little small, but I think for close to your budget, you'll be able to upgrade to the next category. The hotel often ofers romance packages, so check those out online before booking.

The D'Aubusson has become our new favorite hotel in Paris. We used to stay around the corner at Relais Christine, but the room quality and prices (!) don't compare well to Hotel D'Aubusson.

Just so you know, the D'Aubusson is about two blocks behind Blvd. St. Germaine, about a 10 minute walk to the Latin Quarter, 15-20 to Notre Dame, and, in the other direction, about 15-20 to either the Louvrre or Musee D'Orsay. We find the location heavenly!!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM

Our favorite is the Madison, right across from the St-Germain church. Front-facing rooms are large and comfortable, with good-sized bathrooms. The hotel is on the small size and features a sumptuous buffet breakfast.

Ask for a room on the corner; those rooms are even larger. A real plus is all the storage space.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:46 PM

They are renovating the madison, so i would not recommend it.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM

Another renovation? Good grief. It hasn't been that long since the last one.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
ira

Hey ek,

&gt;Ira, surely you jest-.....&lt;

Had you read what I wrote, you would have seen that I said, &quot;It is not &quot;plush&quot;, but instead of spending money on a hotel room that will be soon forgotten,........&quot;

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM

Ira: Why are you assuming that hotel rooms &quot;will soon be forgotten&quot; but that the memory of meals will linger on and on? Have you never stayed in a hotel room that you remember?

I know it is difficult for you to refrain from gushing about the Bonaparte, but I don't think that this is a contender, based on the OPs desires. Not to mention the rather poor reviews on this site:

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/f...iew-51306.html

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:13 PM

We enjoyed d'Aubusson last May. It was a bit steep for our budget, but hey, very memorable experience. I think at that time it was around $425 and that was with the euro at $1.60.

It was lovely to listen to jazz, go out to the pont 2 blocks away and watch Eiffel light up at 10pm, then back in for more jazz.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

The D'Aubusson looks PERFECT. I have to check w/DH but I think we will go with that. They have a romance package for 475 euros a night which I am considering, just based upon everything it includes.

I'm a huge jazz fan, so having a jazz trio right in the hotel is extremely appealing to me.