Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need packing help! What to wear daytime sightseeing in Europe...

Feb 27th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

We are a mother/adult daughter going on our first European cruise (Celebrity) Oct. 6th. We will be in Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Rome, Naples, Istanbul, and Ephesus. What do you suggest we wear in these ports? I have heard no shorts, jeans, white tennis shoes, or sleeveless tops. Will we want capris pants or long. etc.? Thanks for any help you can give us!
Feb 27th, 2014, 07:34 AM

I don't know where you heard that nonsense but you can wear anything you want.
Sleeveless tops might not be allowed in some churches but otherwise just fine.
Feb 27th, 2014, 07:38 AM

well, shorts will not be approved of in many churches [and the Vatican museums] in Rome, but capris are fine and I get round the "no bare shoulders" thing by wearing a thin shirt over my tee-shirt. You may need that for warmth anyway in October.

I don't know about your other ports of call, but there may be some info on the cruise website if there are any particular dress codes.
Feb 27th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Who ever told you that has likely never been to any of those places.

But two notes - by October it won't be shorts weather in many places. And to visit some churches one must have their shoulders and knees covered. But just a scarf or shawl will work if you are wearing a sleeveless blouse.
Feb 27th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Clothes are a safe bet. You might want to dress for the weather.

Fortunately in 2014, it is possible to get fairly reliable weather data for a few days into the future. Even for Italy!

If you dress to the cruise dress code, you'll be alright.
Feb 27th, 2014, 07:43 AM

You might not wear the same types of clothing in Rome as you would in a seaside town like Santorini. Just as you probably wouldn't wear the same clothes in NYC as you'd wear in Cape Cod. You get the picture.

Jeans have become representative of the Americanization of the world. Everyone wears them almost everywhere.

As Martha mentioned, some religious sites discourage the wearing of revealing tops or shorts.
Feb 27th, 2014, 08:19 AM

October can be cool in some places that you will visit but it can also be quite warm in others. Capris are fine, long slacks will work, jeans, too. You will probably need sweaters from time to time. Check the weather before you leave and include things that make sense for the forecast. You can wear white tennis shoes but I wouldn't because the dirt will show.
Mar 9th, 2014, 01:21 AM

The same rules apply to visits to mosques as to churches, except that you will almost certainly be expected to remove your shoes before entering (slippers are often provided).
Mar 9th, 2014, 01:47 AM

I would expect that you would also need to cover your head in a mosque and perhaps some Eastern churches.

Sounds like a great opportunity to buy shawls, scarves, and pashminas!

It will also be cooler at sea than you might expect.
Mar 9th, 2014, 03:12 AM

As for churches and monasteries in Greece there is no need to cover your head, also in Greek Orthodox churches in Turkey.
Mar 9th, 2014, 03:36 AM

Of course you can wear all of these things at various places. Jeans can be worn everywhere. The white tennis shoes will be filthy very quickly and may not be supportive enough for rough walking but you can certainly wear them. I never bring light colored canvas shoes on vacation.

You'd have to be hardy individuals to wear shorts and sleeveless tops in October. Is that what you wear at home in October?

Bring rain proof jackets with hoods (more likely to be misty/rainy near the water than inland), light clothing that you can layer over the tank tops (such as light sweaters or pashminas), waterproof shoes, at least one long-sleeve shirt, a pair of light gloves for your hands (I always bring gloves when traveling in spring and fall).

Bring both capris and long pants/jeans.

I would cover up for Ephesus as there is little shade and if the day is warm/hot and sunny you will fry.

Normally tours have a section on their web sites on how to dress for the time of year and activity.
Mar 9th, 2014, 03:45 AM

I forgot to mention...when I travel in April or October I always pack a fleece vest.
Mar 25th, 2014, 09:49 PM

We visited Istanbul and Rome in early October and I wore capris most days. I wore or carried a sweater with me all the time because even on the sunny days it cooled off quickly in the late afternoon. Be sure to pack a rain jacket, we had a rainy day or two. The most important thing to pack is a good pair of walking shoes or sandals, you will be doing lots of walking!!!
Mar 25th, 2014, 10:11 PM

The OP posted this question a month ago and never returned for the answers or to thank people for their time.
Mar 25th, 2014, 10:25 PM

The OP posted this question a month ago and never returned for the answers or to thank people for their time.

You sound surprised.
Mar 25th, 2014, 10:54 PM

Not surprised at all!