Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Opinions on Hotels in Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-opinions-on-hotels-in-provence-811882/)

glsebs Oct 26th, 2009 12:22 PM

Need Opinions on Hotels in Provence

I cannot find any information on these boards about two hotels we are considering for our Provence trip this summer.

Chateau de Berne in Lorgues
Le Mas de la Rose in Orgon

Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.

glsebs Oct 27th, 2009 05:58 AM

Since I received no input on these properties, they are probably "under the radar".

We are staying at Crillon le Brave for two or three nights and need two other hotels in other areas of Provence.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

StuDudley Oct 27th, 2009 07:10 AM

I've walked around the property at Ch de Berne to check it out for dinner. Decided not to dine there. Seemed like it was kind of a "retreat". I know the area well - we've stayed in a Gite near there for 4 weeks. Nice market in Lorgues (the Chateau is not really near town).

Stu Dudley

Underhill Oct 27th, 2009 08:47 AM

You might consider La Ferme de la Huppe, in the Lubéron; it's between Gordes and the route nationale. Besides comfortably rustic rooms there's an excellent restaurant and pool. From the hotel there's easy, quick access to the major road crossing the Lubéron.

Ourside St-Rémy is the very pleasant Domaine de Valmouriane. Up near Les Baux (a must-see) is a favorite of a number of posters here, Le Riboto de Taven. Another hotel in the area that we liked is Le Cabro d'Or, down in the valley beneath Les Baux.

How far afield do you want to go?

glsebs Oct 27th, 2009 02:08 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into these properties.

We are going to Paris for a few days and then have 8 days for Provence. I figure we will take the train to Avignon and then end up in either Marseilles or Nice to go back to CDG for our flight home.

My quandry is where to base ourselves to see this area...I am thinking three different areas. I would love to stay at Crillon le Brave for a three nights, then in the St. Remy area for three nights and end up closer to Marseilles or Nice for a couple of nights. Some of you have already commented on my itinerary and I appreciate your help. I got the map of Provence and will try to figure out exactly what works.

Thanks to all for your help.

cruiseshmooz Oct 27th, 2009 02:42 PM

Has anyone heard about the Thames Residence Hotel in Avignon? I would love to hear some first hand opinions. Thanks

StuDudley Oct 27th, 2009 02:52 PM

For 8 nights, I would just concentrate on 2-3 areas.

1. Crillon la Brave to visit Vaison, Dentelles, Rhone Vineyards, Mt Ventoux, and the Lavender Fields around Sault. Also l'Isle sur la Sorgue if you are in this area on a Sunday.

2. Luberon - Bastide de Marie (if Crillon la Brave type places appeal to you) to visit perched villages in the Luberon, l'Isle sur la Sorgue, Lourmarin, pretty countryside.

3. Near St Remy - Riboto de Taven to visit les Baux, Arles, Pont du Gard, Uzes, Alpilles Mtns.

Avignon can be visited from any of these locations.

No need to go to the Var (Lorgues) or to Marseille or Nice to see more stuff - your plate is already overloaded.

Return to CDG on the TGV from the Avigon TGV station.

Stu Dudley

glsebs Oct 28th, 2009 05:08 AM

Thanks Stu. What you say makes a lot of sense. Appreciate your help.