Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need noterized permission from spouse to take minor out of country

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Marie

I'll be taking my 16 year old daughter for a vacation to Europe this summer and have been told by travel agent that I need a noterized permission from my husband to take our daughter out of the US. Has anyone ever actually been in a situation where one was prevented from leaving this country with a minor child because of this missing document?

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:18 PM
David

A friend of mine was a ticket agent for ATA airlines and, more than once, she had to deny boarding to someone taking a child out of the country. I wouldn't mess around with this. It's not that hard or expensive to get a notarized letter.

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:26 PM
s

Yes, that is right.Get it or you cannot take the child onto the plane.They are very strict about it too.

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:27 PM
kim

I am in the situation that you are and I have taken my daughter out of the country many times. The only time it was requested was Mexico and Honduras. For Europe, Africa, and Australia I was never asked, bu then again she looks loke a choolege student!

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Wilma

Just today I was informed that I need a notarized statement from my husband to get a passport for my son (new regulation as of July 2001). I had no idea I also need such a statement for the trip itself!!

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Jim

I've taken my daughter to Paris four times now at ages 11, 13, 14, and 15 and have never been asked for any such documents...just a passport. Is this new as we are going again this April?

Feb 19th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Al Godon

I give up. What is a choolege student?
Are they commonly found? Tell me what one looks like and I will start looking around to see if I see any. Maybe one will come up to the bird feeder.
(It feeds squirrels and chipmunks too.)

A sadistic thought just struck me.
I am assuming that in the case where having a notarized statement is necessary that the parents are divorced.
Usually people get a divorce because there is animosity brewing, in fact the situation can get downright hostile. (I don't know of many divorced couples who still love each other.)
If parent #1 wanted to make trouble for parent #2 out of spite, just tip off the airlines that parent #2 was absconding with the child!! Ugh. Ugly.

Feb 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
x

When my daughter went to London in November with her 11 yr old, she had to have the notarized papers.It is to protect parents from having their children taken to another country and not brought back.If there is animosity it would be harder for one to get the others signature,but if they care about their kids, they might sign for the kids sake, just depends on how much the parent cares.

Feb 19th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Kathleen

This sounds very odd to me. I took my daughter to Paris by myself when she was 8 and my son to Paris by myself when he was 11, and I've never heard of the need for a notarized statement. Maybe if you're divorced and there is a custody issue? I'd ask the travel agent for details.

Feb 19th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Kathleen

Also, re the passport, we renewed my daughter's passport last month and did not need a notarized statement from my husband. I believe his signature was required on the form, as was mine. Since my daughter is 15, she had to appear in person with the application.

Feb 19th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Mom

My two sons will be joining me in Europe. One is 17, the other 18. Do we to give him notarized "permission" slips?
Thanks!

Feb 19th, 2002, 08:31 PM
xyz

Didn't you people read Wilma's response which stated this regulation went into effect July 2001? Which part don't you understand?

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Kathleen

Check out this US State Dept website. It clarifies requirements for children 14 and under. There are several options, depending on circumstances: http://travel.state.gov/specialreq.html

Feb 19th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Art

Marie, several years ago (1986) I took my son to the World Expo in Vancouver. My wife could not make it on that trip, so we wrote up a permission letter and had it notarized and was asked for it upon entrance to Canada. My son was 12 at that time. It is really for the protection of the spouse that is not there. I would recommend that you get one just in case you are asked for it. i also have a notarized letter to have medical care for my grand children just in case we ever need it when we were sitting. Fortunately it was never needed, but better safe than sorry.

Feb 20th, 2002, 02:39 AM
Joanne

Kathleen, could you check that link? I got a "404 Not Found" message.

I took my kids, age 13 and 15, from the US to London last July 24 and wasn't asked for any sort of letter, signature, or permission, either during the trip or when I got their passports in April.

Feb 20th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Joanne

Ah, nevermind, the link worked this time! Indeed, the site lists the requirements for aplying for a passport for kids under 14 and is quite clear about the new requirements for securing permission from both parents when applying for passports for kids under 14, effective last July 2.