Need NICE hotel in Rome for family of 5

May 13th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Need NICE hotel in Rome for family of 5

I know, I know....I can do a search....But, I thought there might be a few veteran travelers willing to give recommendations/advice on where to stay in Rome with our 3 kids. Also, if you had extra time between Paris & Rome would you stay a few extra days in Paris, travel to south of France (provence, maybe?) or go on to Rome early and possible visit Positano?
May 13th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Hi Travelmom,

We're headed ( two adults, two teenagers) to the Hotel Pantheon in July, Diamante Suite ,which is steps away from the Pantheon, excellent location. Our suite has a queen bed downstairs, bathroom, and an upstairs loft with two twins and yet another bathroom. This runs about $500/night. I've read other posts about the suite and been told that it's large and can easily accomodate up to 5 by putting another bed downstairs.
The difficult part of your post is where to spend the extra time. I really love Paris, but have to say that Positano probably tops my list of favorite places in the world. The views from our hotel terrace ( the Poseidon) were something we'll never forget. And the food, esp. at Il Ritrovo in Montpertuso, a small mountain village overlooking Positano was some of the best we had on the whole trip. BUT, I would not stay in Positano with kids. It really is a honeymoon/ romantic destination for couples, and you feel that all the time. Instead, I'd base in Sorrento, which is very convenient for daytrips to the Amalfi Coast, Capri, Pompeii, and Naples. Sorrento has a much wider range of hotels,restaurants, and nightlife.
Good luck with your decision!
May 13th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Just had another thought for you, in case you decide to spend the extra time in France. You could easily take the TGV from Paris to Nice, then fly Nice to Rome. I know Nice very well because we have family there, and have been nearly every year, so if you decide to go,just post again, and I'd be happy to help.

Good luck!
May 13th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Weadles! I will check out the Hotel Pantheon. I agree about Positano...I would absolutely love to visit Positano (have you ever seen the movie "Only You"?) But, I agree that to fully enjoy it we would have to be "kidless." Maybe it's something best left for a second honeymoon....15th Anniversary perhaps! So, maybe we should spend our extra time in Provence? Or Cote D'Azur? It's hard to think of a place
that would interest me as well as the kids!
May 13th, 2003, 09:27 AM
LN

Hi

When we stayed in Rome - we had a family suite at the Hotel Olympic which is near the Vatican. Two bedrooms and bath and it was perfect - they could easily move a smaller twin into the 2nd bedroom. The hotel was not super expensive either. I think it was about 6 blocks from the Vatican - very safe area. Oh the main bedroom has a kingsize bed and was quite large, the second bedroom had two twin beds and could have held another bed. There was one bathroom with shower.
May 13th, 2003, 09:29 AM
LN

Hi

When we stayed in Rome - we had a family suite at the Hotel Olympic which is near the Vatican. Two bedrooms and bath and it was perfect - they could easily move a smaller twin into the 2nd bedroom. The hotel was not super expensive either. I think it was about 6 blocks from the Vatican - very safe area. Oh the main bedroom has a kingsize bed and was quite large, the second bedroom had two twin beds and could have held another bed. There was one bathroom with shower. The Hotel Olympic was the nicest hotel on our trip to France and Italy.

As for extra time in Paris or Rome - it would be hard to choose but I think I'd still pick Paris!!!
May 13th, 2003, 10:13 AM

When I was visiting Rome last July with our two children I walked past a place called Residence Barberini. It was just down the street from the Hotel Barberini but no affiliation. I saw a few of their rooms and thought this would be an ideal place for a family. They are small apartments in a great location just about 10 minutes away (walking) from the Trevi fountain, 10 minutes away from the Spanish steps. I believe they are listed on the romeby.com website and perhaps have their own site too but check it out. I also know that many hotels have 'apartments' for families. The Mozart has one, Santa Chiara, del Senato are a few I've noticed mentioned on this website.
May 13th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Maggy,
Where did you stay when you were in Rome? I have heard of the Hotel Barberini, but not Residenza Barberini...