Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need meeting spot at LAX (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-meeting-spot-at-lax-724590/)

mendota98 Jul 28th, 2007 11:29 PM

Need meeting spot at LAX

Hi,

Arriving at LAX 2 hours after daughter arrives; I'm flying KLM and she's on Air France,

Where would I have her wait and then meet

Thank you/

Sarvowinner Jul 29th, 2007 12:07 AM

The landmark at LAX is the four legged restaurant in the centre of the airport which has a bar and restaurant. can't remember the name, but I found the staff really hospitable. I'm sure other posters will know. However, you may wish to post on the US forum.

slangevar Jul 29th, 2007 12:55 AM

I live in LA... you'll both be flying into Terminal 2, so you could either wait in the terminal at one of the restaurants (there's a Starbucks, a bar, and a Wolfgang Pucks), or go to the restaurant Sarvowinner is recommending, which is called Encounters.

One thing: the food at Encounters isn't great (except for the fries) and the drinks are really expensive. But it is kind of kitschy with its space theme.

Have fun!

slangevar Jul 29th, 2007 12:57 AM

(Actually now that I think of it, there may just be a coffee shop in Terminal 2 outside of immigration... not sure if it is also a Starbucks, but you can wait there.)

richardab Jul 29th, 2007 06:17 AM

Do you not have a cell phone?

redhedgurrl Jul 29th, 2007 06:23 AM

I highly recommend keeping it simple and meeting at the Starbucks as the restaurant Encounters is not in the same building. Kind of a schlepp with luggage. Also, I don't know if this is still the case, but I seem to remember trying to go there several times and it being closed at strange hours for some kind of renovations or something.
Good Luck!

lvk Jul 30th, 2007 08:12 AM

Encounter is closed for repairs until mid-2008.

Sarvowinner Jul 30th, 2007 08:22 AM

I must confess it was 1984 when I was last at Encounters. We were en route from Toronto to Mexico. The bartender was great. He kept a jug of clamato juice on hand to make Bloody Caesars for Canadians. We had several. The food was really good also.

Gardyloo Jul 30th, 2007 08:36 AM

You arrive at Terminal 2, she arrives at the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT.)

As she is scheduled to arrive earlier, it probably makes sense for her to come to T2 and wait for you there. There are terminal shuttles that will (eventually) take her from TBIT to T2.

If there's a Starbucks or some such near the customs exit from T2 that's probably the best place. There are very few "landside" (i.e. outside security) cafes/bars at LAX, except a few inside TBIT itself, which I would certainly not recommend as that would mean you having to schlep to TBIT from T2, and then confronting the chaos that is TBIT's hallmark.

In all, LAX is a lousy place to meet anybody.

Best idea would be if you're going to a hotel or getting a car at LAX, agree to an off-airport rendezvous point.

rkkwan Jul 30th, 2007 08:45 AM

Gardyloo - Both KL and AF should arrive at T2.

Gardyloo Jul 30th, 2007 10:16 AM

Oops. Old data. Thanks. Better.