Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need meal and site advice for not often discussed Greek Islands & Places

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They are: Kea, Kythira, Monemvassia & Nafplion. They are not in my guidebook, or discussed much (if at all) on these forums.

We are going in early October, end of the major tourist season. We've never been to Greece or the Greek Islands before, so this will be a new adventure for us. I've already researched the "easy" to find cities and towns (Athens, Delos, Mykanos, Santorini, Crete, etc.), but my Fodor's Greek Islands book is completely dry on the above-mentioned places.

Kea will be our first stop after traveling from Piraeus. We'll be able to explore it in the evening, so I'm curious to know if anything has any thoughts on a tavern (or two) to visit, or some ancient building to explore?

We stop at Kythira mid-afternoon after cruising from Crete. We then have all afternoon, evening to explore the beaches or Chora (capital city with a castle), and find a place to have dinner. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Monemvassia follows Kythira, and would like recommendations on exploring.

Evening and overnight in the port of Nafplion. Would like recommendations on exploration and dinner spots, along with a bar or two.

Thanks in advance. Just trying to fill in the blank spots by you seasoned travelers!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help you now but we are travelling to Kythira in May. We'll stay in Monemvasia afterwards and in Nauplia on the way so if you can wait until the beginning of June I'll report back
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Frances, that will be great, please do report back! I was looking at your posts, and see we're traveling to similar places!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't believe that Napflio/Napflion is excluded from a guide book. It is an historical waterfront town of 10,000 set near famous antiquities. Try both spellings. Look for Mycenae, Tyrns, Nemea which are those ancient sites.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:31 PM

I think that's still not the right spelling. The F comes before the P. Try Nafplio/Nafplion. It's in every guidebook I have, and I have several.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:31 PM

And Epidauros is also a nearby sight.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:36 PM

http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/main_cities/nafplio

http://www.cycladia.com/travel-guide...ea-guide-tips/
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:46 PM

In Monemvassia, there is a cafe called "Enetiko" on the main path between the main gate and the square. The guest bartender at the cafe, Panagiotis Govatsos, was the 2013 world bartender competition winner in the long drink division. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxjNOg0fQsI. He is actually from the USA, and he was there in the evenings. We had a dinner at Matoula restaurant overlooking the ocean.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 04:40 PM

Monemvassia is a fascinating site. It is on a huge rock with the upper section a fortress and the lower section a walled town. It is still a walled city and one can take a period room for the night.
The lower town would be my focus for a short visit but if you have several hours you can head up tot eh upper fortress. it is virtually destroyed but lots of ruins up there.
Nafplio is certainly in every guide book.
There are two Veentian era fortreses to explore, marble paved streets in the old town and a big central square where all the kids come out to play in the evening. It is probably the prettiest city in Greece/
Here are images
Nafplio is the first 42 images and Monmvassia are images 72-88
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7632094108982/

You can step back into time at both these locations.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:16 PM

If you click on "destinations" at the top of the screen you can find information on Nafplion. Here's the link for you. I imagine the same information is in their guide books. I've also seen it discussed on this forum.

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/g...nese/nafplion/

A quick google search turned up lots of information on Kea. I didn't look for the other two places.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/su...t-Seaside.html

http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/greek_islands/cyclades/kea
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

All very helpful, thanks. More, please.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

And BTW, Stan, those photos are superb!
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:01 AM

<i>I can't believe that Napflio/Napflion is excluded from a guide book.</i>

Nafplio and Monemvassia are omitted from Greek <i>Island</i> guidebooks because they are on the mainland. They are included in any guidebook for all of Greece, or in those just for the Peloponnese.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:27 AM

http://www.visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Home.html
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recommendations for restaurants are a bit problematic at the moment. We were in Greece last year and had a list of restaurants that a friend who'd done a similar trip a couple of years earlier, had given us.

Unfortunately, due to the economy over there, around half of the ten listed had closed.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to hear that, Rubicund. I know it's been like that all over. Generally though, there's old time places that have been around forever that, despite them being past their prime, have an endemic history. Even if the food isn't that great anymore, the vibe and the history make it all worthwhile!

And I'm definitely good with that!
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 08:37 AM

Well back from Greece but unfortunately not with any information to help you.
About two weeks before we left we were still unable to book the ferry to Kithira as even though it was running daily it wouldn't accept bookings.
Then we found that our hire car wouldn't be covered by insurance on the boat and also that if it broke down on Kithira we would be responsible for getting it back to the mainland.
At that stage we decided to change our plans and visit Milos ( which we had hoped to get to last year but the ferries hadn't obliged)and Sifnos and (as we were in the area) return to Naxos as well. That is what we did.
On a happier note Greece was very busy this year and I'd say that there were more tourists than last year.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM

Frances

In Greece cars are generally not insured on every boat not just the one to Kythira. This applies to all cars not just rental cars. ( and still Greeks visit the islands with their cars, i never had any problem in the last 30 yers.. not anyone i know....)

Last year was a record year for tourism in Greece, the country received 17 Million tourists, and as you guessed this year seems to even better, the forecast is set to 19 Mi. visitors, which might be possibly even reach the numberr of 20 Mi.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:13 AM

I wonder if anyone actually books the ferry to Kythira? I've never used it myself, but it doesn't seem to me as a ferry that would ever be full.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:39 AM

Maybe in the high season Heimdall..
My friends from Kythira, never book in advance when they visit...
Pretty much like the ferries to Zakynthos or Kefalonia....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -