Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need many (knowledgable ) opinions. Is Les Baux too isolated for 4 days

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:09 AM
lisa

We will be in Avignon one night and Les Baux for 4(week)nights in July, in the middle of a month long trip. Looking for a combination ofa pretty area, relaxing at the pool (ie downtime) and day trips to (obviously) Les Baux, St Remy, Aix, possibly Arles or the Camargue or les Calanques. For those in the know, is Les Baux too far out and difficult to get in an out of? We ill have a car. Would I be better off staying in St. Remy, (my second choice)? Not very interested in nightlife (traveling with kids) just decent restaurants. (got the list from PB - thanks). I don't really want to move around too much. Have been advised (thanks Steve) that if it rains, there may not be much to do. Does it rain much in July?

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:19 AM
PB

&lt;&lt;For those in the know, is Les Baux too far out and difficult to get in an out of? &gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>Far out from where ? By car we're fifteen minutes from St. Remy, twenty-five from Arles, 45 from the Camargue and the Pont du Gard.... just a few of the day trips you can easily make from here. The best times to go into Les Baux itself (all of the hotels are outside of the village itself) during the summer months are early in the morning and after 6 PM (when all the tour buses have left). <BR> <BR>It rarely rains here in July (actually I can't remember it having rained in July in the past 9 years). <BR> <BR>PB

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Diane

We visited Les Baux as a day trip form Arles. I would not have wanted to be staying there, as it is out of the way. Four days would be a long stay.There are so many nice towns nearby with more other things to see and lots of dining options within walking distance. I would stay in St. Remy, Arles or Aix.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Hal

It has been a few years since we stayed there. My recollection is that it is too far away from the places that you mention to use as a base for 4 nights. We spent 2 days there and that was enough. It is approximately 30 minutes drive to the main route that connects you with other locations. Add travel time from that juction to any other locations you want to visit and you get the idea.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:09 AM
joe

I think you would be happier in a real town. My friends like St.Remy, but I much prefer Arles.Les Baux is very heavily touristed during the day. The other towns are too, but you don't notice as much. Arles gives you the chance to walk to different sites, restaurants in a few minutes. Shopping is varied and interesting, four days in a long time.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:21 PM
anne

I agree with the previous posters - pick a town, such as St. Remy or Aix, both of which are wonderful, to base yourselves in.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Lisa

Thanks to all those who replied. A real mixed bag of opinions. Does anyone else have any thoughts.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 03:17 AM
PB

I'll throw in another two cents worth of opinion. <BR> <BR>"real towns" like St. Remy, Arles are charming... you are also coming in July, when EVERY town will be filled with tourists... <BR> <BR>THe hotels in Les Baux are not IN Les Baux, but outside of the town. I don't know which one you're looking at, but for example, the Mas d'Oulivie is about two kilometres down the valley - peaceful quiet, lovely views - the Benvengudo is about the same distance and set in an olive grove both are three minutes (not thirty) from the main road that leads to Arles or in the opposite direction - St Remy. <BR> <BR>You mentioned that you wanted to relax... you can certainly do that and have a great time in this area. You kids can take a horseback ride through the Alpilles, go to the zoo and Visit the chateau at Barben (close to Salon de Provence), for example. <BR> <BR>PB <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Lisa

Once again thanks for the input.I really appreciate everyone who took the time to answer and value all opinions. <BR> <BR>I checked mappy.com and it says that Les Baux is a 10 minute drive from St.Remy and a 25 minute drive from Avignon. Maybe you others have found a lot of traffic. <BR> <BR>If I am leaving Les Baux in the morning and coming back late afternoon won't I be going in the opposite direction to the tourist traffic coming into les Baux. <BR> <BR>Wherever I am, won't I have drives to to get to the towns I want to see? I do usually move around a lot but felt this would be a more relaxing way and also do not want to have luggage in the car or trunk while while sightseeing. <BR> <BR>PB, I am staying at Mas'Daigret which you said in a previous post is charming.I like the look of the trogladyte rooms. You also gave a list of restaurants which I have saved. <BR> <BR>My boys are 12 and 14 so they are very good about sightseeing. Any other suggestions you may have. <BR> <BR> <BR>PB when we come to our area will you be the one wearing the Fodorite pin or will be hiding from all the tourists who descend on your part of the world? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:39 AM
PB

Your boys might enjoy a visit to Aigues Mortes (walled city in the Camargue it was a major departure point for the Crusaders) There is a really fun show at the ruins of the Chateau in Beaucaire overlooking the Rhone river - free flights of falcons, eagles, hawks. <BR> <BR>No - I'm not really a fodorite... but I can tell you that you can find me on any Thursday morning at a table in the Cafe de la Fontaine in Maussane, during the market. Just say the name "Patricia" and almost any local will point me out ! LOL !

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Lisa

Thanks, PB. <BR> <BR>Funny, I had pictured you as a 57 year old man. I don't know why. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I think I will probably keep my reservation at Les Baux, but thank all of those who weighed in with advice. I considered every opinion carefully.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:02 PM
PB

"" Funny, I had pictured you as a 57 year old man. I don't know why. "" <BR> <BR>ROTFL ! <BR> <BR>Patricia

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 02:57 PM
lisa

ROTFL? <BR> <BR>Sorry that's a new one for me. <BR> <BR>I did not mean to give offence and I hope that I did not. If so, I'm sorry. It is just that one gets a picture in one's head of a correspondent. based on nothing at all.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:41 PM
StCirq

"Funny, I had pictured you as a 57 year old man. I don't know why." <BR> <BR>Hysterical! PB, Í'm going to remind you of this when we see each other in April. Sorry, guys, but PB and I are friends, and this is just too funny (even though people also always think I'm a guy on the internet).LOL!!! <BR> <BR>And Les Baux is certainly convenient to all the major towns and sites in the area, and it is SO nice to be out in the countryside at the end of the day, savoring the scenery and relaxing....but if you need a town to hang out in I'd say St-Rémy would be a better choice. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:26 AM
PB

&lt;&lt; I did not mean to give offence and I hope that I did not.&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>No ! None taken. ROTFL just means 'rolling on the floor laughing'. I know what you mean about forming visual images - I often have guests who arrive and are suprised to find that I'm a short blonde when they expected me to be very tall and have black hair. Go figure. <BR> <BR>And I know that StCirq will indeed remind me of this when she's here in a few weeks ! <BR> <BR>PB