Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need luxury accomodation for family of 4 in paris

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have any suggestions for a luxury accomodation for 4? in most hotels you have to get two rooms and this is way too expensive. sos please.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:12 AM

So, you want luxury but NOT expensive. Is that an oxymoron.
Get two rooms at the Muguet.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:50 AM
rex

Are you seeking these accommodations options in addition to, or separate from the apartment(s) plan which you seem to have researched, in a fairly painstaking manner... on the thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34661710

If you are seeking hotel accommodations instead of the previously apartment(s) choice(s), it might be worth mentoning what is the comparison price of the apartment(s) - - and what features you seek that the apartment(s) choice can/does not offer... bellman? valet parking? on-site restaurant? other facilities?

More information could lead to better advice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks. the apartment will be 300 dollars a night. includes taxes, cleaning, electricity. hotel would be nice because of the doorman thing and perhaps a gym.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

by the way luxury does not always mean way expensive. i've gotten some pretty darn nice places to stay on other trips and not paid up the wazzoo. thanks for the muguet suggestion. i will definitely look into it.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM

It seems as though your version of what 'luxury' means is different than what is typical. In Paris a luxury hotel means that it's a 4* hotel which will be very expensive.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:48 AM

So you want luxury but NOT two rooms. In other words, you're planning to put 4 people in one room and call that luxurious?

While Muguet may not be expensive, it's hardly what I'd call luxury. I would be interested in seeing some hotels you call "luxury" that aren't expensive. I don't merely mean "pretty darn nice" but rather something that would normally be termed a luxury hotel.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Gretchen, you suggest the Muguet. Have you stayed there recently? When did they do their renovations? Has anyone else stayed there? Thanks, Jerry
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

we've stayed in four seasons hotels for 260.oo a night. do people agree that this would be "luxury"?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:06 AM

While 260 (is that in $ or in euro?) is expensive, a luxury hotel, to me, would be something like 400 euro+ per night.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

we've stayed in many "luxury" hotels and because i do my homework i get good prices. my children are small and no i do not plan to cram us in a small room and call that luxury. i was thinking of a suite kind of arrangement. i would be willing to spend 350 per night. we are also going to prague and vienna on this trip so yes it would be nice not to spent more. it is a long trip and for a special ocassion. thank you for your assistance. i will probably end up in the apt on the palais royal. seems fine.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:17 AM
rex

My definition of luxury would include jacuzzi tub or some very upgraded bathroom facilities (of course, the room would be appointed in a similar fashion - - my definition would NOT be "focused" on the bathroom facilities).

My definition of misery would be four people, over the age of two, sharing one bathroom.

My definition of "standard" would be pretty much everything else in between.

On a separate note, I think that by definition, a 4* hotel in Paris has to have a restaurant, or at least a bar, separate from the "breakfat room". I do understand the notion of a "pretty darn nice" hotel that does not meet (every one of the criteria for 4*.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:49 AM

The Hotel d'Aubusson has an apartment in the back facing the patio. We've stayed at the d'Aubusson several times but not in the apartment so I don't know how much it costs.

That would give you the benefits of a hotel (daily maid service, room service, concierce, laundry etc.) and the convenience of an apartment.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:07 AM

You might want to check Hotel de Fleurie in the 6th. They have a family suite-- one bedroom with a queen-sized bed that connects to a room with two twins, bathroom inbetween. It's a lovely hotel in a very good location for walking to many of the major tourist areas in Paris.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Wait a second, you stayed at the Four Seasons for 260 a night? I'm sure that was in the US, not Europe. I stay at the Geo V twice a year, and the starting rates are 700 euro a night. Trust me, for 350 you'll be doing the laundry. You can do all the research in the world, you will NOT get luxury for the money you are talking ANYWHERE in Europe.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:48 AM

no, a 4* hotel in Paris doesn't have to have a regular restaurant on-site. There are lots of 4* Parisian hotels without restaurants, only breakfast rooms. I think it is a criteria that a 4* hotel must be able to serve you some food, even if only a simple meal or snacks, but that can be sent up from a restaurant next door or something like that, if they have arrangements. Maybe bar food or snacks would qualify.

I've been in the Muguet, and that is a decent 2* hotel, but it is not remotely luxurious. I think that was suggested just because it fits your budget, not because it's luxurious.

I don't think it will be possible to spend US$300 a night for a suite or room for 4 in a luxurious Parisian hotel that will have a gym. I know it's not possible.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:49 AM

oh, if the main reason for this is that two rooms are two expensive in a hotel, you probably can get two rooms on Priceline in a 4* hotel in Paris for that, but they won't be luxury 4* hotels.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Are you sure that you don't want to stay in the apartment at the Palais Royal? If the children are small...the gardens would be a great place for breaks during the day.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Along with the suggestion about the "apartment" in the D'Aubuson... I can suggest, again in the 1eme, the apartment at the Hotel Relais du Louvre. Its about 350E's a night...really nice...quiet, clean, GREAT staff...you can go take a peek at reservethebest.com "hotels"... set the locator to the 1eme
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Yes, we have stayed in the Muguet 3 times in the last few years. Their renovations were completed 2 years ago. It may not be luxury but it is clean and affordagle for two rooms. I wish the OP would post how much is his top dollar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information