Need London Hotels Advice

Aug 15th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Need London Hotels Advice

We will be in London 9/26 to 10/2. I have two reservations so far at Holiday Inn Mayfair and Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt. I know many of you would advise me to use Priceline but I need the hotel to have AC and a lift as I wear a prosthetic leg, so I can't chance some hotel choices. The price range I'm paying seems to be higher than some of the recent reviews I've read on Trip Adviser and some of the comments did not look very favorable for the Radisson. The prices for both are similar but Radisson throws in the VAT and breakfast. We want nice but not ultra expensive. Need to have accessability to transportation to get around better for me. I avoid lots of steps as much as possible. Any other suggestions?
Aug 15th, 2006, 09:30 AM

"Any other suggestions?"

You haven't told us how much you are paying (or are willing to pay) so it is pretty difficult to make useful suggestions.

"nice but not ultra expensive" covers a lot of territory.
Aug 15th, 2006, 09:32 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn twice, once when it was a hotel owned by the Cunard Group and then after it was converted to what it is now. The room we had was good sized, clean, and comfortable. A big plus of the hotel is that it's very close to a tube station.

If I remember correctly, the entrance to the HI is right at ground level--no steps to go up or down.
Aug 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Good to know there are no steps to the Holiday Inn. The rates for Mayfair and Radisson are about the same for both (ave $255 per night including the VAT) but the Radisson throws in breakfast. So is that a pretty normal rate? I have read more positive comments about the HI but not having been to either (first trip to London), I'm not sure. Thanks for any more information anyone can give.
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM

1)I think if you were to bid on Priceline and stick to 4* hotels, they will all have AC and a lift. If you don't know, you can find a list of PL hotels on either biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com.
Here's the list of 4* hotels in Kensington - Knightbridge - Earls Court
from biddingfortravel

Copthorne Tara Kensington
Millennium Knightsbridge Hotel
Millennium Gloucester Hotel
Millennium Baileys Hotel
Hilton London Olympia
Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt
Harrington Hall Hotel
Holiday Inn Kensington-Forum
The Rembrandt

Here's the link for the London page on bft
http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...abiddingfrm215
You can also see the prices people are getting.

2. If you're concerned you're not getting the best "deal" on a particular hotel, you can check websites like sidestep.com and kayak.com which should have info on cheapest prices listed for your dates. It may be that the cheaper prices you're seeing are at other times of the year or through priceline. Phoning the hotel is another option.

3. londontown.com is a website often recommended here. For your dates I see (prices don't include VAT)

Copthorne Tara for $159
Millenium Bailey at $207
Montague on the Gardens $215

both of which get decent reviews on tripadvisor and have the amenities you want.

Keep in mind people are currently "winning" the Copthorne Tara for as little as $65-95/night.

Aug 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM

If you book through Londontown you WILL BE shown a final price which DOES INCLUDE VAT if you proceed with the booking. I know because I booked the Thistle Charing Cross through them for five nights beginning 27 September. I was shown the total price including tax prior to confirming.

As to the Holiday Inn Mayfair: it is, literally, less than a block from the entrance to the Green Park Tube stop.
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. Good point about the higher star hotels probably having ac and a lift. Looks like I have some reading to do today. Thanks again.
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:35 AM

What is your preferred method of getting around London?

All underground stations are handicapped accessible, but I didn't find the elevators very clearly marked. If you're not planning to use the tube, proximity to a station might not be your prime objective in locating a hotel, as it is for some, and could afford you a wider choice of hotels.
Aug 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Incorrect. NOT ALL tube stations are barrier free. You'll need to use stairs a part of the way in many central stations--eg Bond Street, Green Park. Escalators could be out of order.
twint31, Any particular reason why you need AC? You won't need A/C around that time, and if you're concerned about heating, all hotels should have one.
Aug 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Thank you for that correction, W9. I should have said that most or many of the stations are accessible. I am trying to plan a trip to London next year with a friend who has ms, and on my last trip I tried to locate the elevators in every tube station we used. Many were hard to find, and obviously I didn't get to all of them--
Aug 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Whether tube stations are accessible or not really isn't the issue. Even when there are lifts, once you get down to platfrom level many stations require fairly (or REALLY) long walks. And at some stations, transferring between lines can invlove a walk equal to 2 or 3 city blocks.

For handicapped/limited mobility - buses are usually MUCH easier.

twint31: There is almost no possibility you will need a/c in October. And in fact, some hotels that do have a/c may turn it off by then.
Aug 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM

The originial poster said: "Need to have accessability to transportation . . ."

Just inquiring about the type of transportation she needs. She may prefer taxis to either busses or trains, in which case just about any good hotel that doesn't have interior stairs will work.

Twin, if you're considering Priceline, I would check with each hotel before bidding to see if they have steps down, for example, to a restaurant, or up four or five to the shop or restaurant area. (You are probably very used to doing this, and I apologize if the suggestion is too obvious!)
Aug 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM

The part of my message about the tube wasn't addressed to the OP.

From "twin31quot; on was addressing his needing a/c.

The rest was general info since some people think just getting to a tube station that has a lift solves all mobility problems . . . . . . Far from it.
Aug 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

I walk quite well for an above knee amputee, but when on this type of trip, the constant walking takes the wind out of my sails so I try and find transport that gets me fairly close to places of interest. I prefer no steps but am used to handling them wherever we go. Finding a hotel is always a challenge. When visiting Munich we found the same type of problems you all mentioned...stairs down to underground tubes, non functioning escalators and hard to find lifts, if they even existed. Buses and taxis are fine, but buses can take more time from your trip and taxis I would imagine are expensive. I probably would do a combo of all three types of transportation, depending on how close they get me to places of interest. The reason I asked about AC is IF it the weather was hot in late Sept. or a freak warm front came through, it is not real great for my prosthetic...warms one more than you want to be at times. What is the temp usually like at that time of the year? I thought ( and I have't read the bidding site yet) that when you bid, you didn't get to choose what hotel you'll get. That is incorrect? KSWL,,,when I return from our trip I will be more than happy to share what I learn about transport so that you will have some advance info for your friend.
Aug 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Oops....forgot to ask, any particular area of London better than another? We love seeing the sights, eating good food and people watching.
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Do consider the buses over the tube for many of your journeys. Tube trains do travel faster - but buses have dedicated lanes and travel faster than you might expect. And when you include the often quite lengthy walks to/from the tube trains, buses can sometimes be as fast door to door. There are no steps on the buses and bus stops are usually closer to the entrance of the hotel/museum/theatre or wherever you are going.

Plus you are above ground and see a lot of London.

I mostly take the tube - but if I had ANY sort of mobility issues I would definitely use the buses more.
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM

twint,

We were at the HI Mayfair August 1st. Accessability is quite good and the rooms are large. Also, they are quite close to Green Park tube station.

If you really think you need AC, however, reconsider the HI. The heat-wave had already passed London when we were there, but the "AC" didn't put out cool air, nor did it have much of a fan to blow through the room. We changed rooms once, thinking it was just our unit, but the other room was no better. We talked to some neighbors (during a false fire alarm early one morning), and they all agreed their rooms were hot.
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Do check out the Rembrandt. There are a few steps up to the lobby but they do have elevators. I don't know about A/C but it's a good location with bus stops & taxis always available & directly across from the Victoria & Albert & many restaurants nearby.

You can contact them at their site with any questions.

http://tinyurl.com/z8rbu
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM

"the "AC" didn't put out cool air, nor did it have much of a fan to blow through the room."

That will be fairly typical for many a/c'd hotels. Of course there are some w/ full on, US-type forced-air a/c. But weak air conditioning is much more the norm.
Aug 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Thank you, twin. My friend loves Europe but the walking makes it difficult to get around. I would be very interested in hearing your experiences on busses and in various museums, theaters, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO