Aix-en-Provence: country inn or farm?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest an inn or small hotel or farm-style place to stay outside of Aix-en-Provence -- within about 30 minutes or so from the town, but with a quiet/countryside feel? Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Don't know when you want to go or with how many people. Also don't know if you want self catering (like a place with a kitchen and laundry, you do your own cooking), or bed and breakfast. I'm gathering your main criteria are country feel and charming so here's a few websites to search that list self catering and bed and breakfast places. www.abritel.fr and www.homelidays.com. Good luck.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Just my opinion here. We've spent 16 weeks vacationing in Provence and we've stayed in 5 different gites in 5 different locations (near St Remy, near Gordes, near Uzes, near Vaison, near Bedoin). I love Aix, but I would not choose to stay in the countryside around Aix. There are prettier regions, and the places where we've stayed are closer to the "main attractions" in Provence. We've also stayed for 4 weeks in a 6th gite 45 mins east of Aix near Cotignac.

Next month we're returning for 2 more weeks.

Stu Dudley
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM

I stayed at an inn just outside Aix to the NW, on the N7, which was very convenient as a location for visiting some sites in the country around there, as well as visiting Aix (I went to the mountains east of Aix, also, and that Abbey over there--Silvacane). It was le Mas d'Entremont which was wonderful, I loved it
http://www.masdentremont.com/

It's no farm, that's for sure, it's an upscale inn but they have an excellent restaurant, and it was very quiet and a good location if you want to be in that area a few days.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:46 AM

I'm with StuDudley as far as basing yourself near Aix. Unless you have a specific reason for being near Aix, the area near Avignon is much closer to the main attractions of the area.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
this is located 30 k NE of Aix.
http://www.chateauxhotels.co.uk/Auberge-La-Feniere-2055

Not as close to Aix but there is a wonderful goat farm in Silvergues.Les Castelas. It's location is wonderful. I felt like Heidi.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Either stay inside Aix or stay somewhere more conveniently located in Provence. Unless you're there for a relaxation vacation and just want to stay put.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I guess I should have mentioned that we have a specific reason for being near Aix (for a short time before going to a house we're renting in the Luberon) -- could stay in Aix itself, except we like the quietness of being outside the city. For others' future reference, I found a wonderful looking B&B at a working winery 7 km out of Aix -- Domaine de la Brillane -- but unfortunately they don't have availability for us.