Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Last Minute Advice Re Book on Normandy, D-Day, etc.

Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Just found out that cousin who is going to France with us will be at our house on Christmas, so need a good book, non-fiction, not overly scholarly, about what we will be seeing in Normandy. I know about Ambrose's book; anything else really good and captivating? Thank you, thank you!
Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:34 AM

Hi
Ambrose wrote more than one book on the subject, other than the D-Day book, and Citizen Soldiers book there's another one, "Band of Brothers" which was the basis of a recent HBO series of the same name (also available on DVD). It follows one company of soldiers from training to D Day through other battles.

Cornelius Ryan's The Longest Day from decades ago is still well thought of, and for its time the film was well done.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:29 AM

I read a very good one this summer. I am out of town and don't have it with me, but I am pretty sure the title was 10 Days to D-Day.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:39 AM

Ambrose's book really would be the best option as your cousing is coming Christmas Day. While the other books mentioned are I'm sure interesting, they may be more difficult to obtain in two days. By chance Amazon stocks them you could have them overnight, though.

Ambrose's book will very likely be available at any decent bookstore.

Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations, all; you're right, Ryan, some may not be available by walking in the store today. Good point about Amazon overnight!

Off to shop!

Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:56 AM

John Keegan's "Six Armies in Normandy: From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris" is very good, and reminds us that the Battle of Normandy was far more than just D-Day.

One book that I cannot recommend too highly is George Blackburn's "The Guns of Normandy: A Soldier's Eye view, France 1944" This is a personal account of what it was like to fight in Normandy, and is one of the best accounts ever written of what combat is really like. If you don't believe me, read the reviews on Amazon.com!