Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Jacket and/or sweater in Paris and Slovenia?

May 2nd, 2013, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be in Paris the first week of June and then 9 days in Slovenia. We will visit what is now Trieste, Italy , birthplace of my grandmother, Ljubjlana, my grandfather's birthplace, and a Villa in Triglev national forest.

First, particularly in Paris, will my husband need a sport coat for evenings? We will be taking a dinner cruise in the Seine. I have planned to take layers that includes several Icebreaker sweaters. These are very lightweight, breathable, merino wool sweaters that take up little room. My husband plans to take a sweater and vest, but hadn't planned on a sport coat. We both have light rain jackets and plan to take umbrellas. Also he's comfortable in shorts and a t shirt at 65 degrees, I need a sweater at the same temperature.

Will both of us need to include a jacket to keep warm in the evenings or otherwise? We'd like to pack as little as possible.
May 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM

Paris sport coat, no.

Dinner cruises get mixed reviews.
May 2nd, 2013, 11:03 PM

Take a pashima shawl as ac can be cold in restaurants and it will be more versatile than sweaters. A light sweater also as you have planned but no more than 1 is ok...Your light rain jackets may be handy but don't take too much. June will likely be nice and warm but not hot necessarily. Most of us tend to take too much. Sport coat..not needed unless going out to a fancy dress coded place???
May 3rd, 2013, 03:53 AM

Dinner cruises get ususally dismal reviews. Take a boa t ride at night - but get a decent dinner at a restaurant.

You will need very light weight rain jackets and a sturdy folding umbrella. That time of year I would take one thin cotton sweater - but I prefer cooler weather. I think more than that or a fleece or anything will be overkill.

A sports jacket is good if you will be going to any more upscale restaurants - but not for warmth.

European adults usually don't wear in major european cities - but keep them for resorts, beachwear or athletic activities. Iw would no more wear shorts in Paris than I would when touring Ne York (OK for the park of running around the neighborhood doing errands but not for downtown). You will find many europeans are more sophisticated in their dress than suburban americans - and aim for what the Italians call "la bella figura" - not specifically your figure - but always trying to look appropriate and your best (good grooming, quality well-thought out attire, etc). I think you may be surprised at the number of shops with products aimed at beauty, scents, and personal maintenance.

If you want to be more casual, that's fine (except for upscale restaurants) but not what I would do.
May 3rd, 2013, 06:23 AM

To feel a little more European in the evenings, your husband can toss a light sweater over his shoulders and loop the sleeves across his chest. He can also wear shorts in the daytime if he wants to. To Paris residents, he will be invisible and so will you. They long ago learned to look straight through the tourists that have clogged their avenues for centuries.
May 3rd, 2013, 06:25 AM

I usually take a couple of "twin sets" for dinner. During the day in June it can be cool or hot so plan for a layer or two.

As for dinner cruises, look that up on the search box above. We prefer the evening Seine cruise followed by dinner at a good restaurant.