Need itinerary for Tuscany/Amalfi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Hubby and I live near Venice (USAF) and are driving down to Tuscany (and elsewhere) in a month or so. I want to see Florence, Siena, Amalfi and my hubby wants to see Pompeii. Can anyone recommend an apx. 5 or 6 night itinerary for us? I don't necessarily need to spend the night in Florence (4 hour train ride from our house), but I'd like to stay in a charming town nearby and take the train in. Any rec's appreciated. I'm clueless when it comes to the more southern points in Italy.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Also... how long should we plan to spend at Pompeii. We also have a 2 year old. Is it dueable with young children?<BR><BR>TIA
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 04:01 AM
ira

Hi Cricket,<BR><BR> There have been lots of postings on this. From what I have learned from reading them, here is one itinerary.<BR> Train from Venice to Florence and bus to Siena. 2 nights in Siena.<BR> Back to Florence for train to Salerno. Stay in Amalfi, Positano or Sorrento for 2 nights. (all reachable by bus or ferry).<BR> Day tour to Pompeii (reachable from Sorrento by Circumvesuviana There may be other ways.)<BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:21 AM

I'd second Ira's suggestion of 2 nights in Siena. You can get into Florence by bus (75 mins.) or train from there. <BR><BR>For 3/4 nights on the Amalfi coast I'd recommend Positano. Lovely setting - and a more convenient drive to Pompei than Amalfi. (Maybe a 45-min. drive ...)<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>P.S. Cricket? In Venice?? Hey - where do you play?<BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Don't play. It's just a nickname. I'm sure it came more from the insect than the game! Thanks for the info.