Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need itinerary for Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-itinerary-for-switzerland-326931/)

zabai Mar 20th, 2008 05:55 AM

Need itinerary for Switzerland

Need itinerary for our trip in Switzerland.

1) I'm a 60yrs. old man and will be travelling in Switzerland with my son and his almost 2yrs. old daughter.
2) We will be there during the end of May or the beginning of June for about 10 days.
3) We'd like to rent a car......unless it's not a good idea.
4) Will arrive and depart via Zurich.
5) Need to visit an old friend in Geneva for maybe
1 day.
6) Living in a city myself....prefer to visit and lodge in countryside.

Please do not get discouraged by these limitations. All suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you

PalenQ Mar 20th, 2008 07:26 AM

If you have not been to Switz before i'd head to the Berner Oberland and Interlaken region - to me the essence of Switzerland sketched in our minds' eyes

glacier-girdled peaks, cable cars, gondolas, mountain trains but no cars, which must be parked in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen - beyond that it's all on foot or train

then drive up the route of the Golden Pass train route via Zeissimmen to Montreux - very pretty and bucolic countryside

then along the lake Montreux to Geneva

NorCal Mar 20th, 2008 09:25 AM

Yes, for a first-timer the Berner-Oberland (Interlaken) is truly what Yankees are looking for in Switzerland. After landing in Zurich, a great place to spend the first nite is Luzern/Lucerne. Then, if you go the Interlaken area, a great hotel is the Hotel Baren in Wilderswil, in a small village just outside Interlaken. Whatever the cost, be certain to take the cog train up the Jungfrau; it is the thrill of a lifetime!

PalenQ Mar 20th, 2008 09:28 AM

ttt

Edward2005 Mar 20th, 2008 10:32 AM

Switzerland has a great train system, but with a toddler in the group a car is probably a better idea. Keeping to a train's timetable seems like it would be difficult with a 2yo. Plus, a car gives you door-to-door transportation between stops. Too bad the child isn't older. There is a fantastic castle in Montreux and an awesome train museum in Luzern.

In the Berner Oberland, staying in Lauterbrunnen might be a better option than Interlaken because it has a more countryside feel to it. There are lots of easy downhill mountain walks in the area that are knee- and stroller-friendly. Bike rentals are plentiful.

zabai Mar 21st, 2008 09:56 AM

Thank you everyone......
I'll start studying this itinerary and see the details.
But it already sounds interesting.

PalenQ Mar 21st, 2008 11:01 AM

Folks usually rave about Wengen, near Interlaken by train but up in the hills with some of the most intoxicating views in the Berner Oberland. It's also a quiet town where no cars are allowed - most hotels have balconies with great vistas - easy to reach by train from Interlaken, or if driving from Lauterbrunnen where you leave you car.