Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Itinerary and hotel help for Italy trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-itinerary-and-hotel-help-for-italy-trip-771130/)

Dtravel Oct 30th, 2005 09:12 PM

Need Itinerary and hotel help for Italy trip

Hello!
A friend and I (29 and 37 fun single women!)are going to Portugal and Italy for 2 weeks. The Portugal portion is planned, but we need help with Italy. We're arriving Rome on Dec 2 (afternoon) and departing Rome on Dec 11 (morning). So, basically we've got 8 full days... originally thought to go to Rome, Florence (incl Tuscany) and Venice, but we've been told to skip Venice (although it's magical) since it's Dec and weather can be bad... any thoughts on this?

Do we really have time for all 3 areas anyway? Should we just focus on Florence and Rome (our current plan)? and if yes, how many days would you recommend in each?

Also, lastly, what hotels would you recommend in Rome and Florence given we'd like to stay in a nice hotel (at least 3 star no more than 200 euros) in a great location for singles but also good for walking to the sites?

Thank you very much for your suggestions, in advance! It's much appreciated! -D

ira Oct 31st, 2005 04:51 AM

Hi DT,

I would split 8 days between Venice (3), Florence (4) and Rome (last day), but I am not a Rome lover.

I urge you not to skip Venice.

You could train immediately to Florence (2 nights), train to Venice (2 nights) and return to Rome for the rest of your stay.

((I))

tuscanlifeedit Oct 31st, 2005 05:22 AM

Well... some people hate Rome, Florence or Venice. Some people adore Rome, Florence or Venice. Really, it is up to you.

Now: 9 nights, or as you say, 8 full days. But lets assume since you are fun single women, you will have some fun on your day of arrival in Rome; you are arriving in the afternoon, after all.

Now, you could rush right out of Rome to Florence, spend 3 nights; off to Venice, spend 3 nights; back to Rome, spend 3 nights. Or you could reverse the order and fly from Venice to Rome on the day of your departure, assuming you can make a good connection. That is what we are doing in March.

Or if you wanted to slow down, stay in Rome and Florence. If you were in Florence 5 nights, then Rome 4, you could get a great feel for both towns, and take your Tuscany day trips. I suggest Siena as one. But there are a ton more, according to your likes and desires.

Personally, after Portugal, I don't know if you want to spend your entire time in Italy getting from place to place.

Good hotels in Rome in your range that I have experience with:
Portoghesi
Due Torri
TeatroPace 33

I've stayed in others, but these are the ones I would go back to. It is said that the Fontenalla Borghese, owned by the lady that owns the due Torri, is also a nice hotel. Avoid Hotel Condotti, even if the location is heaven.

saraallison11 Oct 31st, 2005 05:58 AM

I was in Italy last Dec. with some friends. We only had about 5 full days, I think. I really wanted to go to Venice, but we just didn't have time. We hit Florence for two days (loved it) and Rome for three (ADORED it). I could've spent my whole time in Rome and not run out of great things to see and do! However, I would encourage you, since you have longer, to hit Venice, too for a couple days at least. Right after we got back, some other friends of ours went over, and their absolute favorite place was...Venice! All their talk about it made me so jealous that we didn't have time to go. I hope I will get to return someday and see Venice too, but mostly I wish our trip had been a little longer, so I could've already seen it!
On hotels in Rome, I always recommend the Hotel Panda near the Spanish Steps in Rome. The area is great, surrounded by upscale streets and shops. It may not be as nice as you are looking for though. The website is www.hotelpanda.it. It's a clean, quiet place, with a decent staff, no breakfast or other amenities. But we were so happy we stayed there and would again!

Nikki Oct 31st, 2005 06:06 AM

I would spend at least three nights in Rome, preferably four. That way you have one full day for ancient Rome, including the Forum and Colosseum, one full day for the Vatican, and one full day for other sites and museums. I would then decide whether you'd rather concentrate on Florence and Tuscany for the rest of the time or on Venice.

I can't imagine the weather in Venice is that much worse than the weather in Florence, although there is the risk of aqua alta, high water, in Venice in winter. I haven't experienced this myself, but those who have say that it didn't really slow them down or spoil their enjoyment of Venice.

If you don't mind a fast pace, though, and really want to see Florence and Venice, it sounds doable to me. Neither of them requires as many nights as Rome. As long as you spend at least two nights in each place, you'd have a full day to get a taste. When I was a young fun type, that would have been fine with me.

Dtravel Oct 31st, 2005 06:48 AM

Thanks all for your comments. You guys are the best! I would love to hear other's thoughts on Venice in Dec. And more suggestions on hotels..

tuscanlifeedit, question for you: where are your suggested hotels located? I'm researching but can't seem to find them.. thank you!

tuscanlifeedit Oct 31st, 2005 07:02 AM

Ah, Dtravel, you have caught me at the right moment, trying to avoid a doctor's appt. I will go, but lets put it off to the last minute!

Portoghese: At the very top of via delle Scrofa, which is, IMO, the perfect Rome location. You can walk everywhere, and the immediate neighborhood is a great mix of tourist needs and local needs. Perfect. Here is a website:

http://www.hotelportoghesiroma.com/

The due Torri is just a few steps away. IMO the rooms are not as nice as those at the Portoghesi and the location down an alley can be just a little iffy. But not really. The day staff is wonderful.

http://www.hotelduetorriroma.com/

The above web address should link you to the Fontanella Borghese, which is in the Piazza Fontenella Borghese, a bit to the north of the due Torri.

The TeatroPace33:

http://www.hotelteatropace.com/

As I said, this one is just off the Piazza Navona.

Two single friends of mine stayed in a junior suite at the Portoghesi and loved it. They also stayed at the San Carlo in a larger room, and thought it was ok.

motor_city_girl Oct 31st, 2005 09:10 AM

With 8 days, I would do 4 in Rome, spend the day in Orvieto on your way to Florence and then 3 in Florence. You can always day trip to Siena or into Tuscany from Florence.

We were in Italy for two weeks in April and did not like Venice because the weather was very cold, rainy and WINDY. We blew three umbrellas inside out. I think the weather really spoiled the city for us and would have rather been there at another time. I am sure it will be worse in December. I would save Venice for another trip and not be disappointed or rushed.

We really liked Residenza Cellini in Rome and stayed at Residenza de Pucci in Florence. It was nice but nothing special.