Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need itinerary advice for May trip (Greece Italy Barcelona)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some advice on an itinerary. My wife and I will be traveling to Europe during the first half of May with another couple. We went on a European vacation with the same couple 7 years ago and we travel well together. During that trip we went from London to Rome in 2 weeks. Once again we are embarking on a busy trip. I understand that many people wouldn’t like such a busy vacation but for us it works well and we enjoy the pace. I know people will second guess flying out of Barcelona but the tickets are bought and we don’t want to change them. I am interested in thoughts on hotels, alternatives to the small towns we are going to (day marked with *) and something that shouldn’t be missed in each city. At the end of the itinerary I also have some specific questions. Thanks for your input:

(first half of May)
Friday
flight to Athens
night in Athens at Athos Hotel

Saturday
tour Athens

Sunday
tour Athens (outside of city?)

Monday
fly to Santorini
tour Santorini
night in Fira, Santorini at Dana Villas

Tuesday
tour Santorini
night in Fira, Santorini at Dana Villas

Wednesday
fly to Venice
night in Venice at Albergo ai do Mori in the annex

Thursday
tour Venice
night in Venice at Albergo ai do Mori in the annex

Friday*
pick up renta car
drive to Bolazno
tour Bolzano
drive to Ortisei
night in Ortisei at Hotel Uhrerhof-Deur

Saturday*
tour Dolomites
night in Ortisei at Hotel Uhrerhof-Deur

Sunday*
drive to St. Moritz
sight see along the way
night in St. Moritz at Best Western Hotel Steffani

Monday*
drive to Bellagio
sight see along the way
night in Bellagio at Hotel Florence

Tuesday*
Tour Lake Como
night in Bellagio at Hotel Florence

Wednesday
drive to Milan
return rental car
tour Milan
8pm train to Barcelona on Elipsos night train

Thursday
tour Barcelona
night in Barcelona at Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya

Friday
flight home from Barcelona

*********end of itinerary**********

Here are some specific questions I have:

1. Need advice on scuba diving on Santorini.

2. What is best way to get from Venice airport to hotel

3. Where is best place to rent a car to drive out of Venice

4. What is the best sight seeing route from Bolzano to St. Moritz

5. Things to see around Lake Como in a day

6. Things to see in Barcelona in a day

Thank you very much for your time and interest in our trip.
Wekiva
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

bumping to catch the evening crowd
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If your flight to Athens is on Friday you wont arrive until Saturday. Your trip is bit hectic and I don't think you realise how much time the travel will take between cities - getting to and from airports and checking in and out of hotels.

Is there any reason you are taking the overnight train from Milan to Barcelona? I see May flights on Vueling airlines for 30 Euro + tax(4 adults including tax abour 200E)at 10:20 pm. There are earlier flights available for the same price. You might consider flying from another city unless Milan is a must see. For budget flights in Europe - www.whichbudget.com
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

We actually leave on Thursday so we arrive to Athens on Friday.

I realize that time is eaten up by transportation but most of this trip is driving through beatiful mountins (northern italy) which we all love. We do have one full day of flying to Venice and a train ride to Barcelona (but it's at night). But other than that we have 3 or 4 hour drives that we are actually looking forward to. I think the 4 hour drive from Bolzano to St. Moritz will be a very scenic, exciting drive and we'll probably stretch it out to 6 hours or so w/ stops along the way.

Thanks for your concersn though.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:24 AM

The best way to get from the Venice airport is by water taxi. It's also the most expensive way, but it's the quickest and will get you closest to your hotel (If your hotel is on a canal and has a dock, the water taxi will take you right to the door.)

You can also take the larger and slower and less expensive Alilaguna public boat. Or bus or taxi to P. Roma and then a vaporetto (water bus) down the Grand Canal.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:56 AM

You could try Volcano Diving Centre on Santorini (in Kamari)
www.scubagreece.com - I have no first hand knowledge of them, but am going to try out one of there dives when I am in Santoirni in April. I found them in my Lonely Planet Guide book.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:10 AM

In Barcelona: the usual Gaudi stuff, especially Sagrada Familia; also the interior of the gothic catedral (the exterior is covered with scaffolding unfortunately); Las Ramblas...despite what anyone tells you this IS very much a part of Barcelona: the shell games, the living statues, the bird sellers, the crowds, etc....definitely take a walk along it.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Make sure and get a wetsuit for Santorini -- it'll be chilly. During m honeymoon in June in Santorni, I couldn't spend much time in the water because it was so cold for me (and I'm a huge swimmer).

Is there anyway to take a night from Athens? You have so little time anywhere, that I would take one night from Athens and put it on Santorini. Athens was interesting, but Santorini is amazing. That said...I don't remember "touring" Santorni -- but just enjoying it. Theres not a lot to see, but so many little restaurants to enjoy, beaches to find, etc...
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:34 AM

As for question # 2, if you want to do it like the locals would do, you'll certainly take the bus to Piazzale Roma and the public boat. Water taxis, of all incredibly expensive things in Venice, are maybe the most expensive. The Alilaguna boat Rufus told you about could be the happy medium (the locals would dismiss it, too, as much too expensive).
As for question # 3, Blitz Autorent on Piazzale Roma has perhaps the best reputation locally; no website, tel. (+39)0415227251. Don't know about the prices, suppose won't be extraordinarily cheap.