Notices

Need Ireland Itinerary Help

Jun 29th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Need Ireland Itinerary Help

We're going to be in Ireland for 13 days in Sept., landing in Dublin. It is the start of a 5 mo. trip (husband just retired) in Europe. Places I'm currently considering, though open to suggestions, are:
-Dublin
-Enniskerry
-Cork & Kinsale
-Ring of Kerry & Dingle
-Killaloe
-Galway
-Connemara
-Mayo
-Sligo
-Donegal (ancestors from there)
-Belfast
-Ballycastle (see some sites and take a ferry to Scotland)

I want to stay 2 days in Dublin and then, at the end, the ferry doesn't leave until 4:30 out of Ballycastle. If we spend 2 days in Belfast, will that 3rd day until 4:30 be enough to see part of the causeway and the rope bridge? We aren't hikers and I'm afraid of heights, so think we just want to see the sites. I saw there was a day trip from Belfast but thought we'd like to have 2 days for Belfast itself, so that's why I'm considering spending the last day as noted.

The remaining time can be spent in any fashion but at least one 2 day stop in the middle would be good. If any part of this could be done on trains, that would be fine but there would be the issue of where to pick up a car at some point. Lastly, as a point of information, we've traveled a lot, but this is our first, and likely only, trip to Ireland. I'd like to see whatever highlights are possible. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Susan
Jun 30th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

No response but I've done some more research and have now tentatively decided on:

Land in Dublin on 9/13: 2 days
Visit Enniskerry and Cashel and then drive to Killarney for 4 days
(vist Ring of Kerry, Dingle, Cork and Kinsale while there)
3 days in Galway (Connemara, Mayo)
2 days in Donegal
2 days in Belfast
visit Ballycastle and catch ferry to Scotland on last day

Would anyone have any comments on this itinerary?

Susan
Jun 30th, 2016, 08:54 PM

We were just in Ireland for 2 weeks, back June 10 and we especially loved Kinsale (touristy but charming, loved staying at the Old Presbytery) the Dingle Peninsula (truly the "Wild Atlantic Way", highly recommend Gorman's Clifftop House about 15 min outside of Dingle Town) and Galway (be sure and catch a trad music session at Tig Coili and/or Taafe's; fabulous dinner at Oscar's). Rock of Cashel is amazing; Cork was a very busy congested city, didn't make it to Donegal, Belfast or Kerry). Be sure and rent the absolute smallest car you can as the roads really can be as narrow as they're said to be.We loved Ireland- you should have a great time too!
PS if you are counting your arrival day as one of your two days in Dublin you may be shorting your time there a bit. Three full days was perfect for us on our first trip there.
Jul 1st, 2016, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input!!

Search this Thread