Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need information ASAP-Excelsior Palace in Rapallo, Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-information-asap-excelsior-palace-in-rapallo-italy-384031/)

katiekate Jun 23rd, 2008 10:10 PM

Need information ASAP-Excelsior Palace in Rapallo, Italy

We originally had reservations at San Giorgio in Portofino but changed our minds at the last minute. We now have reservations at Excelsior Palace in Rapallo. Would of preferred something in Santa Margarita like Miramare, but it was sold out for dates needed.
Would like to talk to anyone with first hand knowledge of the Excelsior. I've read tripadvisor but still not getting a good feel. I'm leaving soon so please reply as soon as you can.

ekscrunchy Jun 24th, 2008 03:09 AM

The reviews on TA are excellent! What is making you so nervous? Did you try the Splendido in Portofino?

katiekate Jun 24th, 2008 05:45 AM

Heck, I don't know.... just pre-trip jitters. Yes, Splendido is the first place I checked, in fact, that is why I wanted to go to this part of Italy in the first place. But, rates this time of the year are staggering, starting at 1600 Euro a NIGHT!!

ekscrunchy Jun 24th, 2008 07:00 AM

How much is the room at the Excelsior Palace? Why did you cancel your hotel in Portofino?
What is your budget?

katiekate Jun 24th, 2008 10:08 AM

After reading so many reviews, it sounds like SML has more to offer, but Miramere wasn't available so I went with Excelsior in Rapallo. It seems everyone said Portofino was dead unless you were staying at Splendido. Of course, Portofino is the most beautiful and picturesque. We will most definitely visit the lovely town.

ekscrunchy Jun 24th, 2008 10:19 AM

How much is the room at Excelsior Palace?

katiekate Jun 24th, 2008 12:36 PM

600 Euro-Jr. Suite (3 people) Better be worth it!

kfusto Aug 15th, 2008 12:27 PM

We are booked there in October. Last time while in Rapallo, I visited the Excelsior for drinks and thought it beautiful so am excited to be staying there.

I prefer Rapallo to SML personally and was just enchanted when I last stayed there. And I would have no interested in staying in Portofino as everything is so very expensive there!

Please post when you return.

katiekate Aug 17th, 2008 08:07 PM

Location and View!! When we arrived we were upgraded to a corner room overlooking the boats AND the sea. It was amazing. We had the good fortune of being there during Rapallo's city celebration and enjoyed the most spectacular fireworks display 3 nights in a row .... from our balcony. Definitely the best seats in town!!
But to be honest, the grand dame needs a facelift. The decor is dated and guest rooms are tired.
One more complaint. We had booked a package rate for us. The package was NEVER explained or pointed out to us at check-in. I had to go to the front desk and ask just exactly was included (which was quite a bit) They seemed very nonchalant about the whole thing. I felt like I had to keep pressing for more details. One example, part of the package included a VIP seating at the pool area. (Your pool card/pass has to be stamped in order to sit in the area) It's not really a big deal, but if you sit there and don't have your card stamped, you will be asked to move!! Which happened to us. I tried to explain to the pool attendant this was included in our reservation, but it did not matter. To me, this type of service is just NOT 5 star!! All in all, it is a lovely hotel, but IMO does not live up to it's "famous" reputation.

ekscrunchy Aug 18th, 2008 02:29 AM

Katie thanks for the review. I will be nearby for 5 nights next month. Did you eat in any places that you liked? I would love to read a short (or long) report!!

Did you go on any day trips? Do any good shopping?

Thanks!

ekscrunchy Aug 18th, 2008 02:30 AM

..sorry, for 6 nights! In Camogli and in SML..

katiekate Aug 18th, 2008 07:36 AM

I need to explain... by the time we had reached Rapallo, it was our goal to totally rest and relax. Six days prior to reaching Rapallo, I picked up my daughter from her study abroad program in Orvieto. By the time we reached Rapallo, we had already visited Florence and Venice. She was tired of the fast pace, so we decided to slow it down and really take advantage of the pool scene, so that's pretty much what we did. I'm sorry to say we didn't even make it to CT. We did hire a fabulous boat to take us up and down the beautiful coast line for about 4 hrs. one afternoon. We did manage to shop a little in Portofino and had lunch at Splendido. We pretty much had our lunch and dinners at the the hotel with the exception of an amazing place for dinner up in the hills. Can't think of the name at the moment, but will let you know when my brain kicks in. The concierge made the arrangements for us. It's high on a hillside overlooking the city below. Absolutely breathtaking.
Hope this helps.

kfusto Aug 18th, 2008 08:56 AM

Is it U Giancu? I have read about it and the description is similar.

I am really looking forward to the Excelsior for the views and the location. We booked a Deluxe Ocean View with terrace and I am pleased that they have a workout facility in the hotel, not so common in Europe. Did you have any spa treatments? If you did, were you pleased?

I liked the Hotel Europa but the days we are visiting there is a big boat race in Genoa and accommodation was not easy to find. I considered SML as there were quite a few hotels available there but I really found Rapallo to be utterly charming and have been wanting to go back so did not want to settle for SML.

I plan to daytrip on the ferries to Portofino and SML but the CT was a huge, overcrowded disappointment and I have no desire to venture back there again.

zeppole Aug 18th, 2008 09:48 AM

kfusto,

just so you know, since I mentioned it to you before, Sestri Levante is one of the homier towns along the Riviera Levante, with a fair amount of modern block construction near the train station, and in general a location where Italian families take their kids for the beaches. The peninsula has a memorable charm, but it has none of the feel of the upscale Riviera -- but none of the tourist-mobbed feel of le Cinque Terre either! (I also avoid going there.)

I know next to nothing about the historic center of Chiavari, but I've been led to think there is quite nice shopping there, and Zoagli is still famous for its luxury fabric-weaving.

I enjoy some of Portofino, but be prepared for stampedes of cruise ship tourists. Nicest may be to go for a twillight cocktail. Take the last boat in, after the buses have left, and the bus or taxi back.

kfusto Aug 18th, 2008 10:01 AM

zeppole, I have been to Portofino a few times and stay long enough for a walk and a macchiato but that is enough for me. The prices are high and it is a bit snooty IMO.

Are you recommending Sestri Levante instead of Rapallo as a base? My Florentine friends speak highly of it as well. Or do you mean as a daytrip? My husband has not seen this area at all so am wondering where best to go. He is also not fond of the tourist meccas and prefers a bit of authenticity. Living in Florida which is light on charm in the major tourist areas, we look for the opposite when we are in Europe:)