Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Info on Paris Hilton; It's Not Listed In Guidebooks (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-info-on-paris-hilton-its-not-listed-in-guidebooks-44615/)

Sara May 18th, 1999 03:13 PM

Need Info on Paris Hilton; It's Not Listed In Guidebooks

Hi! I am planning a trip to Paris in October for my family. I got a great rate at the Paris Hilton (near the Eiffel Tower) but when I went to the various guidebooks out there (i.e. Fodor's, Frommer's, etc.) to check out its rating, it wasn't listed. My guidebooks from 1990 (the last time I was in Paris) have it listed, but I'm wondering why the more recent ones don't. Any information about this property, it's location, kid-friendliness, restaurants, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

M & J May 18th, 1999 04:18 PM

We stayed at the Paris Hilton in l997. ---room faced the Eiffel Tower and we fell asleep under its golden glow. We had been staying at Hotel du Rond Point de Longchamp on the opposite side of the Seine from the Hilton. The Hilton was upscale Hilton--spacious, quiet, expensive. We would have preferred to have stayed at the other, but the rooms were booked for our last night. Anyways, the Hilton is very nice.

M & J May 18th, 1999 04:19 PM

We stayed at the Paris Hilton in l997. ---room faced the Eiffel Tower and we fell asleep under its golden glow. We had been staying at Hotel du Rond Point de Longchamp on the opposite side of the Seine from the Hilton. The Hilton was upscale Hilton--spacious, quiet, expensive. We would have preferred to have stayed at the other, but the rooms were booked for our last night. Anyways, the Hilton is very nice.

Donna May 18th, 1999 06:10 PM

We stayed next door to the Hilton, which is a very nice hotel. We very much enjoyed the location. I'm guessing that you don't see it in all the tour guides because it's located in the 15th arrondissement (just over the edge of the 7th) and most of them concentrate on hotels in the 1st-8th. Not to worry, we loved walking past the Tour Eiffel as we came and went every day. Just a short walk to the RER or the metro, and lots of bus routes nearby. We really enjoyed the buses - no long hallways and stairways (as with the metro and RER), the stops are much more conveniently located, and NO pickpockets. We couldn't believe how much beautiful scenery we had missed by taking the metro from place to place.

Christina May 19th, 1999 08:10 AM

I have a Frommer's from only a couple years ago (95, I think) and it's listed in there. Who knows, could have something to do with payments or something--don't know if guidebooks list certain chains for a fee or not. Maybe it's not listed a lot simply because it's so expensive, and I think it caters more to business travelers than tourists. It's a 4-star hotel; at those prices, I'm sure it's nice enough, but it's modern (built in the 60s, I would guess, from its architectural style). I believe it has a restaurant known for good breakfasts and its Sunday brunch (the Terrasse? something like that). Other than that, I think it has Western/American food restaurants for some reason (ie, steaks, "California" cuisine) and an upscale bar. Don't know what kid-friendly means, exactly, I'm sure you're allowed to have children there. It is right next to the Champ de Mars park so I suppose that is nice for children. There's a good French restaurant nearby, Chez Ribe, I think.

Yvonne May 19th, 1999 09:01 AM

Perhaps you've already looked in the Hilton web site and wanted a personal critique fromone who stayed there. If not, you can lern about the amenities/location from www.hilton.com. That data should be comparable to what would have been listed in a guidebook.

elaine May 19th, 1999 09:09 AM

Here are some other websites with hotel info that may prove helpful <BR> <BR>www.paris.org/ wonderful site--everything you can think of about Paris.The hotel section includes comments from past hotel guests. <BR>www.france-hotel-guide.com/ <BR>www.paris-hotel.com/ hotels <BR>www.frenchexperience.com/ hotels plus <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com/ <BR> <BR>

Lynn May 20th, 1999 05:16 AM

Sara, <BR>We stayed at the Hilton in Paris a few years ago. It is a nice hotel, but we really only used it to sleep, because it is Paris after all! We spent a lot of time walking around the city and sometimes would be out late. We never had too much trouble finding our hotel- we just headed toward the Eiffel Tower. <BR> <BR>There is a metro station nearby which is only a couple minutes away on foot and if you don't already know, the Paris metro is very convenient. Bus tours will also pick you up from the hotel. We did a 2 hr bus tour when we first arrived. <BR>It's a good hotel - enjoy your time there.