Reload this Page >

Need info on London's new Tate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:15 AM
Marcia

Hi, <BR>We have a layover at Heathrow and I was contemplating taking the Heathrow Express or tube into London and visiting the new Tate Modern Art Museum. Does anyone know what the opening hours are there and exactly where it is located? <BR>Thanks for your help

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:28 AM
Mark

Hi ... <BR> <BR>There is a website for them .... cann't remember the site, but you can either search on this site for tate or go to a decent web search engine and search for Tate .... <BR> <BR>Mark

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:42 AM
david west

The nearest tube is Southwark, on the Jubilee line. Don't know openeing tiomes (they have odd late evenings etc). Give them a call, 0207 887 8008.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:59 AM
Jane

I think they're open until 10pm most days. As well as Southwark station, Embankment's also quite near (go across the pedestrian bridge) and then you can also look around the South Bank. Another way to get there that might be possible (depending on when you go) is the Millennium Bridge - but I don't know when it's going to re-open.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Terry

Marcia, <BR>The Tate Modern hours are Sun - Thur 10:00 - 18:00, Fri & Sat 10:00 - 22:00. Galleries open from 10:15 am. Free admission. Special exhibitions are extra. Last admission to paying exhibitions daily 17:15. Web site: www.tate.org.uk We were there two weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Lori

I am not sure about the Tate's hours (check their web site tho, they may have changed) but will you have enough time to go into London? The tube takes about 1 hr - the Express train about 20 minutes but you will need to take the tube from there to the Tate. Assuming you need to check in 60-90 minutes before flight time (and allow for train delays, etc. - they happen) I'd budget my time carefully.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 10:25 AM
candy

just got back from london and did manage to get to the new Tate. the building's great looking, and the museum itself is very well done, a multifloor classroom in the evolution of modern art. i recommend the audiotour they offer--you don't have to follow any particular route but can punch in any particular artwork by number, as well as introductory bits on individual theme rooms. for various artworks the audiotour includes options like a piece of music that corresponds to the art genre, or the artist's own two cents on his piece. i also liked that bits of film art were interspersed with the paintings, sculptures, photographs, and installations. I frankly hate modern art past Picasso (there are one or two Picassos and a Matisse or two sprinkled around), but if you like it or want to become open to it or just want to experience a new and interestingly done museum, do go. It's memorable.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Marcia

Thanks everyone for your help! <BR>Marcia