Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need info on Lake Como -transport-cooking classes-A must to do !

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Lake Como for five days end of April with a friend- two ladys in our prime

Will be coming into Malpensa 18:30 on a weekday. Are there still busses going to Como from the airport or do I need to take the train ?
Anyone tried a shuttlebus ? And if so, do you have a company to recommend ?

Any tips on one day cooking classes ?

And last but not least, do you have any tips on what not to miss and what is totally over rated ?

With gratitute
Sigga
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 03:12 AM

www.bellagio.info the pearl of the lake head there.

2 best cheapest ways I have done it shuttle Milano Centrale train to Como fast ferry to Bellagio. Train via Bergamo to
Varenna a little longer cheaper though on regional trains.

www.booking.com/Residence-L'ulivo my fav good cooking clsses too.Prenota Residence L'ulivo, Bellagio Paga In Hotel Senza Costi Aggiunti.

www.hotelflorencebellagio.it another nice place Mark Twain stayed when he visited upstairs view rooms are great from personal recent experience.

Have fun!
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 04:22 AM

You can also take the train from Malpensa to Como Nord Lago, with a change at Saronno.
Don't feel you have to go to Bellagio the first night. Como is nice town with a lovely walled part in the middle so you could just stop there, at least for the first night.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM

There are so many things to do depending on your preferences.
I spent a week staying in Cadenabbia last June. I hopped on the ferries which serve the central lake using a day pass. I visited the little towns such as Lenno, Varrenna and Mennagio as well as Bellagio. Each town was lovely and different from each other especially when you went away from ther lake.
In April the gardens will be amazing - try the Villa Carlotta and the Villa Melzi in Bellagio itself. In Lenno take the taxi boat to the Villa Balbianello. You can also visit the only island on the lake Comancina Island (Isola Comancina.
I also enjoyed taking a tour boat where they explained what the villas along the lake are.
I took the "slow" ferry to Como which is a cruise in itself. Como town was a total change of pace. There's a local market on a Saturday and it's good to take the funicular up to get a view of the town from a different perspective.
You can also take a trip to St Moritz on the Bernina Express from Tirano - get there by train from Varenna.
From Menaggio there is a local bus to Lugano in Switzerland which is very different from any of the Italian towns.
On top of all that there are villas to visit, little streets to wander around and cafes to sit in and people watch.
I'm sure whatever you decide to do you will enjoy yourselves.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thak you so much for your tips on traveling to Lake Como and helping making the most of it.
We have now made reservations on staying in Lenno.
What you have written only makes the journey more to look forward to, spending springtime in such a beautiful place, tasting the local food and wine.
Thank you again so much !
Sigga