Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Info. on Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-info-on-ireland-17640/)

Cindy Oct 3rd, 1997 07:43 AM

Need Info. on Ireland

I am going to Ireland in January to work for 4 months and then plan to travel around the island for a few weeks.

I will probably work in Dublin, but I'm pretty flexible. I have a work permit, but would like information, advice, etc. on Ireland -- cities that would provide a good "Irish" experience, lodging, getting around, approx. cost of living, ease of finding employment, etc.

Any tips and hints would be appreciated!

Jim Blaul Oct 3rd, 1997 04:50 PM

I will not be able to answer all your questions but I have visited Ireland and I would recommend the following: Dublin(Visit Temple Bar, Trinity College), Shannon (Durty Nellies, Bonratty Castle), Galway and Aran Islands (recommend staying at least 1 night on the Island), Killarney (visit Scoundrels bar), Ring of Kerry (although I have not seen it), Waterford, Cork, the Blarney Castle, and Cape Clear Island and Sherkin (near Cork-I plan to visit there next year). I know there are other places in Ireland but this is what comes to my mind as excellent places! ... If you are brave enough to explore Northern Ireland, I recommend Belfast, Giant's Causeway, Bushmills Distillery (near the causeway), possibly Antrim, and Derry/Londonderry, although I can not guarantee the political situation will remain calm there. ... By the way I envy you. I wish I could work in Ireland!!

Laurie Oct 4th, 1997 07:30 PM

Hi! I just wanted to ditto the above response. I visited Ireland this past summer. Loved it! I also envy you for being able to work there! Hope you have a lovely experience!!! Have fun!

P.S.
Definitely do the Temple Bar in Dublin!!!!

Tim Walshe Oct 6th, 1997 01:02 AM

Hi Cindy,
Working and visiting can be very good ways of seeing a country, particularly if you are flexible in what you want to do. The traditional work available is in the many Hotels, restaurants and pubs. It is a social type of work, if you like meeting people, but the hours are long and the pay not espeicially good. Au-Pairs (child minding) is another option, but again, the hours can be daunting and perhaps you may find yourself miles from where its at. You, could try a couple of places before you arrive: The American Embassey, An Oige (the Irish Hostel organisation for caretaking jobs), FAS (the Irish Training Authority), Bord Failte (the Irish Tourist Board) or you could travel round, enquire and see how you go. You might also have a skill, particularly if your work permit allows, have a look at the Irish Times web site. Remember, January, Spring are quite months of the year. Dress warmly: heavy sweater and good water-proof coat. Expect it get dark early: 4:30pm. Try not to hitch by yourself, particularly in the dark.
Most of all, have a great time, Ireland is a great place to visit. You'll come for the scenary and stay for the craic (fun).
regards,

Tim.

Cindy Oct 6th, 1997 06:08 AM

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions and advice for my working stint in Ireland! Thanks especially to Tim for his great tips on jobs, weather (I'm from Florida, so this is pretty important for me!), and clothing. I am still in the planning stages, so if anyone else has any suggestions/info. on Ireland, it would be appreciated. ---Cindy

Laura Oct 6th, 1997 11:16 AM

I can definitely support all of the above! We traveled a couple of years ago and had a marvelous time. On places you MUST see I would add Kelkenny, both the castle (grounds and history) and the shops across the way, and Cashel for a real feel for the tremendous age of the country and its people. As for the Ring of Kerry, heard that one woman toured it 3 times before the weather was clear and she really saw it! I know we had rain and fog our entire day we tried. And that was the only bad day of the trip too. Have fun and good luck on the job search. I'm envious.

Jason Zabriskie Oct 6th, 1997 11:22 AM

Hi! You lucky, lucky girl... Back in October of 1995 I packed my bags with approximately $2000, a four month work permit and a plane ticket to Dublin. The rest was up to me. To begin, you may need somewhere cheap to stay until you find a permament place to live and a job. One hostel, which was nothing special, but suited me as far as a place to keep my bags and rest, was the Kinlay House (I think that was what it was called - I do know it's right next to ChristChurch however). It's no more than a ten minute walk from the heart of the city - Grafton and O'Connell Streets - the two busiest shopping areas in Dublin, and the best starting point for you to look for a job (I ended up working at HMV music store on Grafton Street as a cashier/customer service person (my boss had heard Americans were especially good in helping out the confused and bemused)). A friend of mine found a job waitressing at a pub on the outskirts of central Dublin (she met The Edge and Adam Clayton one day on the job!). My advice would be to go store to store, handing in your resume (it's called a C.V. in Ireland) and asking to see the manager so you can tell them just how interested you are in working for their establishment (be persistent - I had to return to HMV twice before I got an interview). Tim was right when he said that it's quiet around January - everyone's spent from the Christmas holidays. It may be a little more difficult to find work also at that time due to companies letting part-time workers go after they've put their time in during the busy Christmas holidays. Pubs and restaurants may be your best bets. While working there I earned approx. 100 pounds a week - which was just enough to afford rent (35 pounds a week), eat and have plenty left to go out almost every night of the week (the average pint will cost between 1.50 and 2 pounds). Granted, I got lucky and my flat was within five minutes walk of Grafton Street where I worked (although it was super tiny and I had to lie to get the flat, saying I would be there for a year), but buses are cheap and there are plenty of nice residential areas surrounding the heart of Dublin within a 15 minute bus ride. Even then, it never gets so cold that you can't walk it if necessary (but DO bring a few warm sweaters, a scarf, an umbrella and a parka). It shouldn't take you much longer than two weeks to find a job and a place to live (it took exactly one week to get both for myself). In the interim, you may want to apply to some temp angencies also located on Grafton Street. As far as seeing other cities goes, a perfect touch of classic Ireland is both Cork and Galway - both of which should cost no more than 20-25 pounds for a round-trip bus ticket (I went to Galway and I think it was 10 pounds each way). Hey, and you'll meet a ton of people while you're there as well - you never know if any of them will have a car and want to go on a little road trip to surrounding cities! I've got a ton to tell you and I'd love to help you out with any questions you may have. Feel free to email me. And, no matter what happens, I can almost guarantee that you'll have a brilliant time!