Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Info on Hotels on Le Mont Saint Michel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-info-on-hotels-on-le-mont-saint-michel-15581/)

Louis Dameson Jul 12th, 1997 12:32 PM

Need Info on Hotels on Le Mont Saint Michel

Has anybody stayed at the Hôtel Croix Blanche,Hôtel du Gueslin, La Vieille Auberge, or Auberge Saint-Pierre? We would like a room with an oustanding view as high up on the Mont as possible.
We would appreciate any comments or suggestions. This is the third time that I have posted a message. It would appear that most people do not overnight at Le Mont Saint Michel--even though this would seem to be the best way to experience the abbey.

Zac Jul 14th, 1997 07:16 PM

I just returned from France and visited le Mont-St.-Michel...I did not stay on the Mont, but rather in a hotel rather closeby. I found the best way to experience the abbey is at night from a short distance. We were about 15 minutes walk from the abbey and had a spectacular view especially at night. Hope that helps.--Zac

Louis Dameson Jul 14th, 1997 10:36 PM

You are not the first person that has suggested staying off the Mont. Rick Steves is the only person that suggests staying there. The editor of Fordor's French guides also suggested staying off the Mont. As far as staying off the Mont, I am a little confused about the tide conditions. When the tide is in is it possible to walk over to the Abbey? We plan to take the TVG to Renne and the bus to the Mont. I don't feel like bothering with a car. I think the Hotel de la Digue is the nearest place to the Mont and it says it is 2 Km for the Mont. I don't think we could walk 1.2 miles in 15 minutes. We are just relaxing in Paris for a couple of weeks before going on to Turkey and we wanted to smell the air,hear the sea and sense the mood of the Abbey when most people are gone. Neither of us are very interested in illuminated buildings in the distance--we have a very nice illuminated Morman temple at home and a view of the illuminated city of San Diego from our livin room. Like Charte, Le Mont Saint Michel,to us,is an expression of people from another time and life. Perhaps we are looking for something that is no longer there or that is not possible in today's world. I wish to thank you for your comments and you may have given us the best advice. I hopw hope that you had a pleasant time in France.

Lydia Jun 20th, 1999 11:30 AM

Thought I'd send this one up again - maybe somebody else has been since. Does anybody know about the Hotel Duguesclin?

ilisa Jun 21st, 1999 09:27 AM

This is not the first time this question has come up. Try doing a search on Mont Saint Michel and you will find many people who have stayed there. I stayed many years ago at the Hotel Croix Blanche and found it to be a wonderful experience.

Lydia Jun 21st, 1999 02:12 PM

Yes, Ilisa, I sent this question up again - first posted in 1997 - exactly because I did do some searching and couldn't find the answer to my question. <BR>Regards