Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Info on different currency denominations in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-info-on-different-currency-denominations-in-europe-41982/)

Mary Apr 10th, 1999 10:16 AM

Need Info on different currency denominations in Europe

<BR>Does anyone know of a website which <BR>will give me the different currency <BR>denominations for London and certain <BR>European countries like France, <BR>Switzerland, Germany, Austria and <BR>Italy. I have the Onanda currency <BR>exchange site but it gives only the <BR>main denomination for exchange. What <BR>I am looking for is a website which <BR>will give the the names and worth of <BR>the different coins and bills used <BR>in London and these other countries <BR>which a traveler will have to <BR>contend with. Thanks for your help. <BR> <BR>Mary

elaine Apr 10th, 1999 11:53 AM

<BR>Mary, I don't know of a website, but <BR>most guidebooks like Fodors have a general info section which discusses the currency. <BR>I'm not sure what your goal is, but it's generally not hard to figure this out once you get to your destination, although even seasoned travelers can fumble with the coins from time to time. <BR>Just to get you started: In France the franc consists of 100 centimes. Bills are in denominations of 500,200,100,50, and 20 francs. Coins are 20,10,5,2, and 1 franc(s), and also 50,20,10, and 5 centimes. If you calculate at 5 francs to the dollar (it's currently better than that but 5 is easy to divide by) <BR>than 100 francs is worth about $20 US, a franc is worth about 20 cents US, 50 centimes (half a franc) is worth about 10 cents US, and you can take it from there.

wes fowler Apr 10th, 1999 12:29 PM

Mary, <BR>In Germany, the Deutschemark (shown as DM or DEM) is the primary currency unit. It equals 100 Pfennig (Pf). Coins come in 1,2,5,10 and 50PF,1,2,5 and 10 DMs and bills in 5,10,20,50,100,200,500 and 100DM. In Austria, the Schilling (S or AUS)is the basic unit and is composed of 100 Groschen(g). Coins are 5g,10g, 50g, 1S,5S,10S and 20S; bills in 20,50,100,500,1000 and 5000S amounts. In England,the pound is the basic currency unit and is composed of 100 pence(p). Coins are 1(p),2(p),5(p), 10(p),20(p),50(p) and 1 pound. Bills are 5,10,20 and 50 pounds. Why ever do you want to know???

Mary Apr 10th, 1999 02:44 PM

<BR>Thanks so much folks! That's exactly what I was looking for and you were so great to take the time to write it all down for me! BTW, the reason I am looking for it is because in case I get to be on a big money quiz show, I can know the answers and I do have this thirst for knowledge! &lt;g Seriously, our trip is almost upon us and when we get handed all those different coins and bills in the different countries I thought it would be good to be somewhat prepared to understand what they were worth. Thanks again for all the help so many of you have given me these past months so we could have a great trip! <BR> <BR>M

lynn Apr 11th, 1999 08:04 PM

Hi Mary - <BR> <BR>This post is pretty far down on the list but I thought you might like to know about the website www.oanda.com <BR> <BR>You can go there and type in anything you want and get back the exchange rate desired. I know you were looking for denominations, but I thought this might also be helpful for you "knowledge quest." <BR> <BR>Good luck if you get on that show!