Reload this Page >

Need Ideas for Inexpensive Souvenirs from Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 1998, 04:01 PM
Mary

My family is vacationing in Norway this summer and we would like to bring souvenirs back for a number of friends. Any suggestions? We can't get sweaters for everybody! Thanks!

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 03:39 AM
Knut Solem

The major towns have handicraft shops, where you can find all kinds of gifts. The price level is quite high, but you should be able to find affordable items for everybody.

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 06:26 AM
Lanny

Norway is famous for its Trolls. Trolls are delightful and impish and fu enough they can be given to men, women and children and everyone will like them. Best of all, they come in all sizes and and all price ranges, from the little troll some people hang from the mirror of their car, to great big chaps I have seen taking up their end of a mantlepiece or playing the part of a conversation piece on a table in the living room.

Old Mar 5th, 1998, 10:28 AM
kimberley

I was in Norway last summer (1997) and the only unfortunate thing about it: shopping is EXPENSIVE. Of COURSE you can't bring sweaters for everyone...I actually opted not even to bring one for myself, because of the prices! However, I did find one item that pleased everyone I knew: CHOCOLATE!! Norway produces arguably the world's best chocolate (many world-travelled friends and family members have ranked it even above Swiss and Belgian). I personally sampled many kinds, and can unequivocally tell you that Freia makes the best anywhere. The best thing is that Freia chocolate is found everywhere, and available in everything from $1 tablets to $50 boxes (or more). I brought back about $200 worth of chocolate, but I honestly think everyone I gave it to (boss, coworkers, friends, the guy who fed my cat, family...) loved it and appreciated more than they would have appreciated a key chain or a mug!

Old Mar 9th, 1998, 05:39 PM
sandra engley

Returned from Norway with cross country ski socks, very long and very warm. Also went to a christmas shop and picked up hand carved wood ornaments of mr. mrs. santa claus. After all you will be kind of close to the north pole, this would be an inexpensive gift to bring home.

Old Mar 18th, 1998, 04:26 AM
ella

If you visit Oslo, look out for reasonable prints based on Vigalands art sold at the shop at the Vigeland sculpture park.

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 06:01 PM
Jean

Shopping in Norway is expensive. Sweaters were way above my price range but ski headbands and Christmas ornaments were affordable and very nice. <BR>Also agree chocolate is great idea. <BR>Check out smoked salmon at the airport shop but make sure it's legal to bring in. I was told it could be non-refrigerated for up to 24 hours. <BR>