Need ideas for a day trips out of Amalfi

Oct 27th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Need ideas for a day trips out of Amalfi

I am going on a tour of the Amalfi coast in 3 weeks. Our itineary includes Naples, Pompei, Capri, Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi (where we are staying). I will have 2 days to spend at my leisure. Does anyone have any suggestions for a day trip? I will have to rely on a bus or taxi for transportation. I was thinking maybe Ravello or Maiori. I welcome any recommendations to help me out. Also our tour includes dinner at the hotel (La Bussola) but I think I would like to go out in town a few nights if anyone can suggest a restaurant (price is no object)in Amalfi. Thanks in advance for any help!
Oct 27th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Ravello is a very small square with two beautiful villas to tour. Views are incredible. Ravello is a 1/2 hour bus ride from Amalfi. I would suggest this as a half day tour the most. If you are going to Capri for just a day on your tour, you might want to spend another day back there on your own. Get away from the crowds on the little backstreets of the town of Capri by Hotel Punta Tragara or go to Anacapri to shop, eat and hike(take chair lift) or rent a rubber motor dingy and go swimming in the grottos that surround the island. You can catch a boat from Amalfi or Positano. Also a quaint, excellent restaurant (expensive) is Sorrento's L'Antica Trattoria. First tour the house inside before deciding to eat in or/out. Make reservations.
Oct 27th, 2003, 09:01 AM
dln

Cookie, I second Ravello. If you are on a tour, chances are you will have an early start each day. On your free day, treat yourself to a leisurely morning and they take the SITA bus up the mountain to Ravello. It is exquisite! The ceramics at the shops are of very high quality, should you want to do some shopping. If you want to hike, the tourist bureau in town will provide you with maps. We took the bus up to Ravello but hiked down, and it took about an hour. Not a hard walk at all, and we passed through the gorges planted with olive trees and vineyards. It was a wonderful way to spend the day.

On your other free day, why don't you return to whatever place interested you the most?

Oct 27th, 2003, 09:05 AM
ira

Hi Cookie,

From Amalfi you can take the boat to Salerno and then the train to the Greek ruins at Paestum. Return by bus to Amalfi.

See "Ira's Trip Report", for some reason I can't find it right now.
Oct 27th, 2003, 09:45 AM

Cookie: I second Ira's suggestion. If you have interest in antiquities, Paestum will delight you. After the the Roman Ruins of Pompei, the curved columns and scrolled capitals of the Greeks at Paestum are marvelous. There is a museum and a bit of a village with a couple of restaurants (lunch). You take a bus or boat to Solerno and then a bus to Paestum. On your return, wander downtown Solerno. While not a tourist location, it is interesting and fun to see how the locals live as shops and restaurants cater to these Italians rather than the tourists. We enjoyed this day trip from Sorrento. Have a great trip.
Oct 27th, 2003, 09:55 AM

While on the bus to Solerno I would make a stop off at Vietri sul Mare...only if you love to shop for ceramics. If you do, you better do it on the way back since your bag might be very heavy, as mine was!
Oct 27th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great ideas! I also think it is interesting to visit places off the beaten path. I have met many interesting people and have had some great meals away from the touristy areas during my travels. Also, thanks for the info on the ceramics. It is one of my weaknesses! And the hike down Ravello sounds like fun. I can't wait to go!
Oct 27th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Cookie, there are alot of nice walking paths you can take along the coast, too. There is a British book in the Sunflower series that has maps and explains the areas you will see. I really recommend walking not only is it beautiful but you can walk on these ancient trails between towns.
Oct 27th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Don't miss the gardens at Villa Cimbrone in Ravello. They are absolutely beautiful, although a hike from the town center.

In Amalfi, some restaurants we liked:

DA GEMMA- Unbelievably fresh seafood dishes. My husband and I shared the house speciality, zuppa di pesce, which was wonderful!

RISTORANTE TORRE SARACENA- Very close to the hotel Luna Convento. Excellent risotto and chicken dishes.

and the best for last,...
GELATERIA PORTO SALVO, very close to the cathedral. Amazing flavors of gelato, from hazelnut to strawberry. DIVINE!

If you get a chance, and feel like making a day of it, I'd also recommend lunch ( or dinner) in Montepertuso (sp?) a small mountain village about 15 minutes from Positano. We liked IL RITOROVO and DONNA ROSA. The views from the huge windows at IL RITROVO at sunset were unforgettable-- all the way down the mountain and out to sea.

Good luck, and have a great time!
Oct 27th, 2003, 07:04 PM

Weadles got to suggest most of the good places, however here are two more. Take the SITA bus towards Positano, there are two or three routes you can use, to Al Pesce d'Oro, the bus driver will let you know. They will drive you back, only about a 10 minute ride.

If you want an upscale dinner, go to Hotel Santa Caterina, very beautful hotel and setting. Service is good as well as the food.
Oct 27th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Paestum and Ravello are definitely worth seeing. The Greek temples in Paestum are amazing and the view from the terrace at the Villa Cimbrone in Ravello will take your breath away. What a beautiful area of the country! We were there just last Fall.
Oct 29th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the good ideas, and Godfrey 26 thanks for the links. I think I will get the book.

Search this Thread