Need hotels for Padua, Arezzo, Perugia and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need accommodations for Padua, Arezzo, Perugia and Venice. Traveling by train. We don't require
fancy, but convenient and safe location, clean, en suite bath, a/c. Wi-fi, good breakfast nice. Prefer not to pay over 200 euros and less even better. Many thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 07:57 AM

Majestic Toscanelli in Padova is wonderful. Great location- walk to train staion (about 20 minutes), lovely rooms and within your budget.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Ralstonian, many thanks, will check out.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 05:16 PM

In Perugia, recommending <b>Hotel</b> Fortuna on the top deck of the Pyramidian city....great views, comfortable, large rooms, many with balconies overlooking the countryside. Elegant old hotel just 50 yards from the broad Corso Vanucci, Perugia's main topside artery. The evening Passiegiatta is full of locals...we joined them. We later enjoyed a mom and pop trattoria just off Vanucci, Antica Trattoria del Volte. Excellent choices, fairly priced. It was offseason and we dined, just the two of us,

Fortuna, owned by a woman interior designer and you can see what she has put into the property. Excellent full buffet breakfast. We parked our rental car in the Partizaner garage, easy access in and out with the amazing scheme of elevators and escalators. We were heading next to San Marino and looking forward to it, as it would be the semi-annual Investiture Day. Not a bit disappointing.

Ralstonian, your son must be in his late teens or more by now. I'll bet he's well-traveled! Haven't seen your posts for years.

Stu
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 05:48 PM

When you are going plays a large part in keeping to your budget.

Venice: we were there in Oct 2014 and stayed a few hundred feet from train station. Abbazia Hotel and its sister property Abbazia Deluxe. We were in Deluxe. Great place, wonderful staff, lovely room and really nice breakfast.

Perugia: drove there and believe that train station is below the city. We stayed in the city center but can't remember the name of the hotel. FYI- all streets are one way and driving in city center is horrendous. Best to go there by bus if you can or at least stay up in city center. I believe we were there on a Sunday and tough to find restaurants open.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 05:52 PM

In Venice, we choose Hotel Carlton Capri, really close to thenteain station, 300 or 400 metres, and I think it fits your budget.
Enjoy!
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 05:52 PM

I mean "the train station"
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:10 PM

In Perugia I've stayed in Brufani Palace and Hotel Fortuna and really liked them both!

In Venice I like Locanda Orseolo and Domus Orsoni.

In Arezzo, we stayed in an apartment right on the square with stones from an Etruscan wall visible! Only around 100 eu. We booked through Paola deJuliis and she is just great:

http://www.paoladejuliis.com/

Only did Padua as a day trip, sorry. Have a great time!
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 03:13 AM

Tower-
My son just turned 21 this year. Time does fly. He arrived home on June 29 after 6 months in Geneva for a physics program and lots of travel on the weekends. Our many trips to Europe with him has given him a love for travel for the rest of his life. I urge everyone to travel with their children whenever possible.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for replies. All accommodations reserved now.

Venice- Residenza Corte Antica

Padova- Majestic Hotel Toscanelli

Arezzo- Graziella Patio Hotel

Perugia- Hotel Brufani (Fortuna no rooms, will keep checking)

Rome- Hotel Fontanella Borghese
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 08:35 PM

Brufani is quite nice -- great views, nice restaurant, neat rooms....
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

annw, thanks. I read more reviews on Fortuna and it seems very nice but now plan to stick with Brufani. It is the most expensive hotel we have for trip. We travel with very little luggage and dress very comfortably so hope they let us in the door. : )
I am so ready for this journey and hope Italy will not be scorching hot in September.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 08:12 PM

Ralston...thanks for the update...my, where has the time gone. I remember when my OLDEST grandson graduated college...he's now 35. I have 6 ranging age from 20-35.
Good to hear from you.
stu
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 10:11 PM

How will you be arriving in Perugia? If you take the train in, there are little red trams/cable cars that whisk you to the top, but for our arrival we took a taxi from the station.

As mentioned above the ancient center is quite uphill and car parks are located down below.

One thing about Perugia, for my first trip there I didn't even notice the escalators -- they are quite long ones but not obvious -- if memory serves, there is one that ends up right by Brufani, which is also where some buses/taxis are in the upper level of the city. Also it is at one end of a very nice long pedestrianized street with a wonderful passagiata.

Some wonderful restaurants in Perugia; enjoy!

As to casual/comfortable, I go carry-on only to Italy; black slacks/top/scarf with decent shoes get you anywhere IMO.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

annw- we travel by train and your information is so helpful. I will check out the tram/
cable cars (is it a funicular?) I have read about the escalator and great to know it is by Brufani. Thanks again, appreciate your help.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 08:52 PM

The mini-metro is about 100 meters from the train station and takes you up to the antique center. However, I'm not sure how close the stop up the hill is to Brufani (as mentioned I took a taxi up when first arriving with a bag).

The escalator is as I recall across the square from Brufani....it will be fun to explore! There are some nice restaurants up in the old town as well, a couple around the corner from Fortuna (a nice gelato shop there too).
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 07:36 AM

For Venice - if you are looking for something different, I would suggest renting an apartment from Red House.

http://www.venietiam.com/

We have rented 3 different apartments from them over the years and have been very pleased. They have a fairly large selection of places in different price ranges depending on the size of your party.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 09:40 AM

In Perugia, you have actual escalators -- like department store escalators, not cable cars or funiculars -- that burrow up inside the hill to take you from lower levels to the Corso Vannuci. I have never arrived by train to Perugia, so I don't know how far the entrance to the escalators is from the tran station.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM

I was referring to the mini-metro system, which is near the train station and moves down to parking and up to the old center. They have tiny red tram-like cars. This system is in addition to the escalators.

Vio, Arezzo has at least one set of escalators as well (and also has quite restricted parking). If memory serves, the train is well located.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 11:40 AM

I was referring to the mini-metro system, which is near the train station and moves down to parking and up to the old center. They have small tram-like cars. This system is in addition to the escalators. Here's an article:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...7/umbria.italy

Vio, Arezzo has at least one set of escalators as well (and also has quite restricted parking). If memory serves, the train is well located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -