Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need hotel recommendation in Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-hotel-recommendation-in-amsterdam-13137/)

sfink Feb 19th, 1997 06:04 PM

Need hotel recommendation in Amsterdam

You will love Amsterdam-we were there last year and would love to return. We spent alot of time investigating hotels and ended up staying at The Tulip Inn on Spuuistraat (unsure of the street spelling). It is in the Univ. of Amsterdam area and is convenient to everything. THe "trolley" train system stop is 1 block away and from the airport you can take the KLM shuttle bus for about $18 round trip-it drops you off directly in front of the hotel. THe hotel is new -it is in a safe area-extremely clean and very nice staff. The breakfast is very good. One nite we were in a double room-it was small but very very nice and the rest of the week in a king room which was large by US standards. Both rooms had views of a canal. THe room rate was about $110 a nite-we had been quoted $115-unsure why the reduction unless a change in currency. I would highly recommend the hotel and would absolutely stay there next visit. Have a wonderful trip-be sure to eat at the Pancake Bakery near the Anne Frank House.

Miriam Sanson May 4th, 1997 01:44 PM

We have been to Amsterdam twice, and we absolutely love it. We stayed at the Hotel Krasnopolsky both times. It is delightful hotel right in the center of the city.
Enjoy your stay.

Kelly Rankin May 12th, 1997 02:00 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer on the Princegracht for New Year Eve this year. It is a real treat.

Randy Jun 2nd, 1997 08:43 AM

Just go to the train station and they have a service counter that can book you hotels as you need per price, location, etc. Have fun at the coffee shops!

Tricia Jun 4th, 1997 09:38 AM

Frommer's Europe mentions the Amstel Botel at 020/626-42-47 Fax 020/639-19-52. It is rated as inexpensive, has 172 cabins, 4 decks, and a double is $83. It is a boat hotel moored 250 yards away from Central Station. Built in 1993. Says very popular because of price and location. Has anyone stayed there?? ALSO THE ACACIA has rooms and two houseboats moored out in the canal. Sounds intriguing. Its $93 a nite 020/622-14-60. Keep me posted! Tricia

Rob M. Jun 4th, 1997 12:40 PM

After seeing the hotel in Frommer's, my wife and I stayed at the Botel in October '95. It was very convenient, the rooms were modern, albeit small, and we had a view of the city. The bath/shower was very small, but are night there was very nice and the breakfast was very good as well. We walked everywhere we went, and didn't have a problem parking our car there either.

Gary Nagler Jul 4th, 1997 06:44 PM

Cannot agree with what Miriam said. We, too, stayed at the Krasnapolsky on Dam Square. However, I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. It does have some charm, but unfortunately, the rooms are squalid, filthy, and unpleasant. Probably our worst experience in many trips all over Europe. Unfortunately, I don't know where you should stay!