Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need hotel opinions!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-hotel-opinions-155927/)

pscaltreto Feb 6th, 2002 10:00 AM

Need hotel opinions!!!

Haven't posted in a while. Trip to London was changed from February to April. Booked K+K George (Earl's Court )triple room through BA for 8 nights (paying for 7) with full breakfast. On re-reading BA brochure can book Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt for an addition 5.00 more USD/night. I would greatly appreciate any response ASAP. Thanks again for all the help I have received on this board.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Feb 6th, 2002 11:17 AM

If you want any responses you need to put the city in the title.

top Feb 6th, 2002 03:21 PM

to the top<BR>

Mel Feb 6th, 2002 03:42 PM

I've stayed at the K&K and, while it's a nice enough hotel and I have no problem with Earl's Court, I believe the Vanderbilt is in Knightsbridge near Harrods. If that's the one, I'd definitely make the move for $5.

pscaltreto Feb 6th, 2002 04:36 PM

MEL: The $5.00 more per night for the Vanderbilt would be per person, thus $15.00 more x 7 days would be an additional $84.00. Would this still be worth the move? Thanks for your response.

pscaltreto Feb 6th, 2002 04:41 PM

Mel: Neglected to mention that I did a virtual tour of the Vanderbilt and it appeared to be much nicer than the K+K. Someone stated on this board that the breakfasts at the K+K were excellent. If the Radisson chain in London is similar to the US, food is not really THAT good and sometimes expensive. Any comments? Also, does that K+K have tubs and showers? We're all shower takers. Thanks again.

Mel Feb 6th, 2002 05:40 PM

pscaltreto: If the Radisson Vanderbilt IS the one near Knightsbridge, I'd pay the extra $84.00. For one thing, you've got lots of great restaurants (and shopping, if that's your thing) nearby, which is missing in Earl's Court. The K&K does have showers. In fact, I don't think we had a tub. I liked the hotel, staff was great and, yes, they do a great breakfast buffet. Since it's a German chain, they serve meats, cheeses, etc. at breakfast--very substantial. Also a nice, small bar. The hotel is very Art Deco inside. What I didn't like: The room had no drawers. They had a large open wall unit (think bookcases) where you stacked your clothes. Also, the bathroom had no shelving or vanity space around the sink. Minor things, but for $84 and location it should matter. One thing we really liked: We had a ground floor room and it had a back door to the courtyard, which was really lovely. If you stay there, ask for a ground floor room and, specifically, one with a back door. It's sometimes the little things like that at the end of the day that are really nice.<BR><BR>The Radisson isn't like the modern ones here. It's a lovely, big old hotel. I've heard a lot of comments on it on this board so you might want to do a search.<BR><BR>Let us know where you end up!

pscaltreto Feb 6th, 2002 05:50 PM

Mel: Just re-read BA brochure. Vanderbilt is only available from April 1 to April 7. We're booked for April 14 through April 23, should have read it more carefully. Re the K+K---I always request second or third floor for safety reasons. Would a ground floor be okay re safety--obviously it was if you recommend it. Do I request that type of room once we arrive or should I arrange this before through BA? Mel, thanks sooo much for your help. You've given me more info than you realize, always read your postings in response to other people--always good and practical advice.

Mel Feb 6th, 2002 08:19 PM

Thanks for the kind words! When I stayed at the K&K I was with my husband and grown daughter and felt very safe. However, the fact that we had two doors might be something we SHOULD have been concerned about, but weren't. I've never felt unsafe in London, even when traveling with my sister. You're going to be about a block from the Earl's Court tube stop. Don't freak when you see the area around the tube entrance--most look a little seedy, but it's perfectly safe and has good lines to get you anywhere you want to go. There's a pastry shop directly across the street from the tube entrance that has the most fabulous apple pastries. You'll see them in the window--they're square and the tops are covered in white icing. I actually dream about these :) The shop also has very good egg mayos (egg salad over here) and are really cheap. If you buy anything, tell them it's to "take away" and it's cheaper. You'll see people standing outside eating! <BR><BR>