Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need hotel near Vienna- please give suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-hotel-near-vienna-please-give-suggestions-708960/)

odyssey4 May 29th, 2007 03:52 PM

Need hotel near Vienna- please give suggestions

Need a hotel near Vienna for three nights in July. Will have a car so we can get to concert venues one hour north of Vienna one night and one hour south of Vienna another night. This is the reason we don't really want to stay in the city proper. Parking will be very expensive and the concert venues will not be accessible or convenient using public transportation. It will also be late when they end. For the final night, we will attend a concert at the Musikverein in Vienna.
Another thing to consider: our flight out the next morning is at 7 am. So, would it be better to stay near the airport, or just return the rental car the day before and use public transportation the last day?
So, I would appreciate suggestions for places to stay in the under euro 150 range (if that's possible) for two adults, one child age 16 near public transportation so we can easily access the city sights.
Thank you in advance. Everyone is so helpful here.

odyssey4 May 30th, 2007 06:58 AM

I want to add that I have searched this forum for Vienna woods and outskirts of Vienna, but have not been able to find anything. I looked at a map, too, but can't determine easily what is close enough or which places would have public transportation readily accessible.
I appreciate any help offered.

tomboy May 30th, 2007 07:10 AM

Have you tried Google? I did a search about 2 years ago for a pension in Vienna, and got results for several which were about 10 miles west of central VIE. I'd suggest a search parameter of:
"vienna "public transportation" bed pension"

bettyk May 30th, 2007 03:34 PM

odyssey4, we have stayed twice at a hotel IN Vienna that had parking places for guests just a half block for the hotel entrance. It is the Admiral Hotel, right off Mariahilferstrasse and behind the Museum Quarter and only a few minutes walk to the Ubahn and Tram on the Ringstrasse. It is clean with modern bathrooms and is priced reasonably. I'm assuming that parking is still offered, but if you enquire about a room, let them know that you require a parking spot and see what they say.

http://www.hotel-admiral-wien.at/admiral/en/index.php

This may be good for the first two nights of your trip. You might check to see if you can drop off your can IN Vienna. I believe several of the major car rental agencies have offices on the Ringstrasse. It's worth checking. Then you could just take alternative transportation to the airport.

BTilke May 30th, 2007 03:39 PM

The Crowne Plaza is out by Austria Center (near the UN complex) and there is a big, multi-story parking lot practically next door. I spent about a week there last year and it was a much better hotel than I had expected. Good service, comfortable rooms. Unless there's a big conference going on at Austria Center at the time or an OPEC meeting, you have a good chance of finding discounted rates at the hotel for your dates.
In addition, you are about a 10 minute walk from a U-bahn stop (an easy straight shot to Karlsplatz, which is close to Musikverein) and you're also within walking distance of the "Copakagrana" the waterfront area that hops during summer nights.
Easy to reach the airport from the hotel as well.

BTilke May 30th, 2007 03:39 PM

Forgot to add, the rooms have AC, which may come in handy if there's a July heat wave.

odyssey4 May 31st, 2007 03:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. But, are there any hotels "out" of Vienna proper. Say, a 20 minute subway ride into the center? I ask because I don't want the hassle and expense of parking in the city. I am thinking it will be like parking in a big U.S. city. My husband will be stressed, and it will lose the fun factor! I think it would be much more enjoyable to stay outside the center and then commute in. Sort of like being in the suburbs. Does this exist? Maybe no one stays outside the city center because it is too inconvenient?

I looked again at the concert venue locations. Now there are 3 outside of the city. My son's boys choir group is in a competition there and part of the festival competition includes concerts leading up to the final competition at the Musikverein.

The concerts are in Gross Siegharts, Bad Tatzmannsdorf and one far south in Gloggnitz. I don't think we'll attend that one.

Thanks for the help.

BTilke May 31st, 2007 04:31 PM

The Crowne Plaza is definitely not in the city center, very much on the outskirts. In fact, the location almost matches exactly what you've just described above.

odyssey4 May 31st, 2007 05:58 PM

BTilke, I forgot to mention that I went on the Crowne Plaza website and searched for available rooms. Only the Holiday Inn came up as available for our dates- July 8-11, so I guess that's why I couldn't find that hotel. Could you give me a more specific way to search? Maybe if I email the hotel directly I will get a better response. Thanks, and sorry I left that out of my previous message.

Lawchick Jun 1st, 2007 12:35 AM

I would suggest staying in Baden, which is an interesting spa town outside of Vienna. Its about 25 kilometers outside of Vienna and has every sort of transportation to get you into Vienna.

Also it has the befit of being on the "right side" of Vienna for Gloggnitz and Bad Tatzmansdorf.

I have never stayed in a hotel in Baden, but perhaps somebody else here might be able to help.

Here is a website to show you a bit about Baden.

http://www.baden.com/english.htm

BTilke Jun 1st, 2007 01:43 AM

I did some checking and the Crowne Plaza has been sold to the NH hotel group and rebranded as the NH Danube City.
It has availability for your dates.
www.nh-hotels.com

BTilke Jun 1st, 2007 01:47 AM

By the way, the www.hotels.de site offers cheaper rates for the hotel on your dates than the NH web site.

Lawchick Jun 1st, 2007 02:06 AM

The Crowne Plaza/NH is a nice hotel, but it is in the UN part of town which is not the best Vienna has to offer. It is on the U Bahn, but the area is a bit modern and built up with office blocks and I don't think you would get any feel for Austria there. I suppose it depends what you want.

BTilke Jun 1st, 2007 02:28 AM

Actually, I think you do get a feel for Austria there, just a different kind of Austria. It's not only office blocks, it's also a large residential area. Moreover, in summer, the Copa Cagrana will be in full swing with its restaurants and bars. And it's only a 10 minute ubahn ride into the historic heart of the city.
http://www.wien.info/article.asp?IDArticle=10471

The What's on When guide notes:
Summer grooves: Copa Cagrana
From late April to the end of September join the locals on the Danube Island, which comes alive with bars, restaurants and cafes. This heady oasis has been nicknamed the Copa Cagrana after Copacabana Beach in Rio.

Baden is a pleasant town, but when I spent a week there a few years ago, I found it kind of bland. Many of the hotels are on the outskirts, near walking trails and are geared toward family holidays (I learned "land curling" there, which was fun). But parking is ample (and free) at most hotels, whereas you'd have to pay for parking (in most cases) at hotels closer into Vienna. However, the commute from Baden to Vienna is longer than the Ubahn ride from Danube City.

As you said, it depends on what the OP wants.

odyssey4 Jun 1st, 2007 05:27 PM

I am still looking around. Thanks to both Lawchick and BTilke. I am checking on other rooms. We have a reservation right now at the Radisson SAS Palais hotel, right in the center of things, but hopefully I can find something more convenient for these concerts.

Any opinions on the last night? With our early departure on Wednesday am, should we switch hotels to be closer, or would it be fine being in the city?

molker Jun 2nd, 2007 03:45 AM

I believe that lawchick offers good advice about hotel location.
The Holiday Inn/ NH is on the east side of Vienna.
The areas you mention for concerts are south or west of Vienna- some distance.

If you plan to drive- especially to the southern venues- Gloggnitz, Bad Tatzmannsdorf - and leave from the Holiday Inn you must pass on some of the busiest and congested roads of Vienna.

Donau Insel is nice for walking , biking etc.

But ,I think the Boys Choir might see things never seen before at Copa Cagrana- the summer "bar haven" of Vienna.

I see the results of the evenings when I walk my door on the island early the next morning.

Baden may be a good choice. Also look at the town of Mödling- just south of Vienna- easily reached by car or train- easy drive to/from the airport too.

www.moedling.at

the town is very nice.

a nice hotel with parking garage is the Babenbergerhof less than 100 euro ninghtly double with breakfast

www.babenbergerhof.com

site has maps too of the area and directions.

easy to reach the Autobahn A-2 for a trip to Gloggnitz ( perhaps 80 Kilometers- less than 1 hour) nice area with some mountains and nice scenery nearby.
www.gloggnitz.at

and Bad Tatzmannsdorf ( 110 Km? )
It ias a cure center with many hotels

Gross Siegharts is probably the greatest distance and time from Vienna.
It is between the towns of Horn and Gmund in Niederösterreich.
SMuch driving on 2 lane highways to get there but nice countryside of farms on forests.

Perhaps you wish to have a mix of hotels- a few night stays out of Vienna- much easier to reach concert sites and experience life in that manner.

The SAS is a very nice hotel on the Ringstrasse in the city center- perhaps a good place for 1-2 nights at the end of your stay or when the concert is held at the Musikverein- within easy walking distance.

odyssey4 Jun 2nd, 2007 05:31 AM

Ah- molker, thank you. I will research later this morning. My little choir boy is also a new boy scout and is off to a merit badge clinic. Tonight, he sings in a wedding here in town. So busy!

We actually don't get to stay with the choir. Also, no contact with them, just permitted to see the concert. That will be great as it will be 2 weeks since we've seen our son by the time we get to Salzburg.
I'll let you know what I find...