Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need hotel help for 2 month trip in many cities!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Mina

Hi all:<BR><BR>I'm sorry to ask this, as I promised to research, but with only two weeks of work left, people have become demanding of my time here, and I'm starting to panic.<BR><BR>I'm trying to come up with a hotel list to take with me on my 2 month backpacking trip. Since I don't know where I'll be at any point in time, I can't book in advance. But I want to take a list of hotels so I can try to book a few days in advance. <BR><BR>I'd like to get a list of 3 categories of hotels. Budget (hostels and the like), Moderate (50-100 euro) and splurge (100 or higher) for the cities below. There are days where I may have the energy to hostel, or days where I'm so tired I want to splurge. I think having this list will help tremendously.<BR><BR>So if you can, would you help me fill in the blanks with your favorites (and list which &quot;category&quot; it falls under)? It will help me research so much better. Here are the cities I'm thinking of hitting (but always subject to change, and I know I can't do all of them):<BR><BR>Bruges<BR>Munich<BR>Rothenburg<BR>Pr ague<BR>Cesky Krumlov <BR>Hallstat<BR>Vienna<BR>Salzburg<BR>Budapest<BR> Venice<BR>Florence<BR>Siena<BR>Grindelwald<BR>Sevi lla<BR>Barcelona<BR>Madrid<BR><BR>Some of you have already helped me (Maribel's Spain files for instance), however I still have lots of holes to fill in. Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Rod

I can only comment specifically on Budapest hotels, and even them without knowing all details. In the moderate category you might consider the Taverna, and possibly the Mercure Korona; &quot;splurge&quot; is really unnecessary, although you could look for a deal at the Marriott, Hyatt or Intercontintntal if you really wanted to do so. There are a couple of hostels there, but you can find quite comfortable accommodations for something in the 35 USD/EUR range, breakfast included. Past postings under &quot;Hungary&quot; will give specifics.<BR><BR>I'd also suggest checking past postings for the respective countries for hotel recommendations as more likely to get you information faster.<BR><BR>Finally, for really budget ideas - hostels and the like - you might check lonelyplanet.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Mina

Thanks Rod! Yes, I have checked lots of past postings. I just am having a hard time putting it all on one list, therefore this thread. I promise to get off my butt and do that though. I think you're right...this thread may have a tough time getting responses.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Carolina

The accomodation guides in both Lonely Planet and Let's Go are usually pretty good.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Mina

Thanks Carolina...I have the Let's Go, but wasn't sure how good the listings were. Good to know.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Carolina

Just another idea, I have used the accomodation listings in Frommers several times and have also been pleased with these. They were spot on for Athens and for Tarragona in Spain. Like Lonely Planet, they have listings in several price ranges. Have a look at all 3 guides, maybe photocopy accomodation pages to take with you and look up some of the listed properties on the web.<BR>Also, the easyjet hotel site, octopus travel, describes all the hotels they book very honestly. Some of the hotel descriptions describe rooms as in need of decoration etc. (easyjet.com)