NEED HOTEL ADVISE IN PARIS

Aug 7th, 1998, 04:32 AM
BRYAN

NEED HOTEL ADVISE IN PARIS

I will be traveling to Paris in early September. Several people I work with have mentioned the
following hotels: Familia, Hotel de L'Universite and
the Hotel de Fleurie. All with in the Latin Qtr or
St. Germain area. I would love to hear any other opinions. My budjet is no more than $100 a night.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Aug 7th, 1998, 05:38 AM
elaine

I stayed at the L'Universite a few years ago. The location is excellent. The rooms are small, at least mine was. I'd check the price because I'm sure it's more than $100 per night by now. However, I do recall that when I last stayed there the rooms were a little shabby around the edges, although clean. If it hasn't been refurbished, you know best how fussy you are.

Aug 7th, 1998, 07:18 AM
Sparky

The Grand Hotel Leveque is a good bargain on an interesting market street not far from the Eiffel Tower. It's aa 29 rue Cler and fax is 011 33 1 45 50 49 36

Aug 7th, 1998, 08:16 AM
Joe

I stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, 75 rue de Cardinal Lemoine, in the Latin Quarter last month. It's a great place: 3 bldgs. grouped around a garden courtyard. Rooms are F550 and nicely decorated. Hemingway lived at 74 rue de Cardinal Lemoine in 1920-21, "when we were very poor and very happy," and the Place de Contrescarpe is just around the corner -- lively and pleasant cafe scene.

Aug 7th, 1998, 08:53 AM
Christina

Those hotels might be fine, but two of them are
way beyond your price range (Hotel de l'Universite
and Hotel de Fleurie) -- rooms in both of these
are 700-900FF or about US$150. The St-Germain area
is rather pricey and the Hotel de Fleurie is one
of the more expensive 3-star hotels--popular with
Americans obsessed with air conditioning, I think,
because it has it. Your budget is doable, but only
in less-expensive areas or in 1-2 star hotels. The
Familia fits your bill; I think the location is a
bit inconvenient for a tourist, but it's not terrible. I suggest you either get a guidebook on
cheaper hotels ("Cheap Sleeps in Paris"), or even
use Fodor's WEB site here -- I've seen their
recommendations for budget hotels in Paris (you can
select by price), and while there are many more,
you couldn't go too wrong with one of their choices
(they include the Familia). One hotel I know of that
DOES fit your budget in St-Germain is the Grand
Hotel des Balcons (about 500FF)--haven't stayed there but have read good reviews. Here is the URL
of my favorite WEB site for Parisian hotels:
(www.paris-hotel.tm.fr) -- it is not comprehensive,
but the ones listed are a very good selection, and
they have a variety of price ranges (which you can
search by) unless a lot of hotel WEB sites that
only include more expensive ones; it also includes
prices, photos and you can even print out a map with
the exact location marked. By the way, if you don't
know it, Sept. can be a very busy time in Paris due
to business and conventions and you had better make
your reservations quickly.

Aug 7th, 1998, 04:28 PM
jennifer

Bryan - e-mail me directly and I'll give you the low down on the very decent, cheap hotels in the area.

Aug 7th, 1998, 05:22 PM
John

Try HOTEL MUGUET 11, rue Chevert in the 7th arrondisement. Walking distance to Eiffel tower, very quiet street, near post office, Le Invalides, Musee D'Orsay, walking distance to excellent restaurants, clean, very comfortable. They have a website. The Manager's name is Ms. Catherine Pelletier, Téléphone : 01 47 05 05 93
Fax : 01 45 50 25 37, Téléphone international :
+331 47 05 05 93, Fax international : +331 45 50 25 37.

Aug 20th, 1998, 05:52 PM
Kimberley D. Byrd

Hello!

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Paris in early October and wanted to know if there are any reasonably priced hotels w/room service. Our budget is $100/night. Does such a hotel exist on this budget or do some hotels just offer room service on breakfast? Thanks in advance for your reply. I've looked all over the net, but wanted to get some personal testimonials.

Aug 20th, 1998, 06:25 PM
Anna

The Rue Cler neighborhood mentioned above is great. It is a pedestrian street close to the Eiffel Tower and only one block from the Ecole Militare metro stop. I have stayed at the Hotel du Centre tel 47 05 52 33,
fax 40 62 95 66(Double without bath ~250F, with bath ~350). Across the street is the Hotel Leveque (tel 47 05 49 15 fax 45 50 49 36)which looked nicer than the du Centre, I have seen others post praise about it on other bulletin boards (doubles ranging from 250-345 depending on room facilities). During the day the area is filled with vegetable stands, there are also several bakeries, and 2 groceries.

Aug 20th, 1998, 09:26 PM
jparrent

Bryan-here is my favorite hotel near St Germain des Pres-

Hotel Saint Thomas d'Aquin
3 rue du Pre-aux-Clerc

tel: 011 331 42 61 01 22

fax 011 331 42 61 41 43

this is a small hotel on a quiet street in the 7th where it touches the 6th and very quiet-it is on a little street known for new clothing designers-so it has some nice little shops-I paid 450ff there last January-it is nice-rooms are small like most hotels in that price range but safe, clean, etc.

I would much rather stay in the St Germain des Pres area than the Latin Quarter-still really central much less touristy, just a shade more typical. Al l the postings I read here gave great suggestions for the left bank-my husband is French and we have lived and travelled a lot there and of course have had many friends come to visit over the years-and all of those hotels are great!. Also, the posting that mentioned how busy Paris can be in September is right-if you want to sure to have a place-it is good to start now.

Also, by the way, have you considered the Marais on the right bank-it is a great area and lots to do as well-a very hip part of Paris at the moment. If you are interested in any hotels there-I know some really nice well priced ones there as well

have fun

Aug 21st, 1998, 04:00 AM
Bryan

Thanks for all the great advice! Your right September is very busy. Several
hotels I have contacted are completely booked and have been for several months. I was able to get
a reservation at Familia. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again