Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help with Transportation on the Amalfi coast without a car (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-transportation-on-the-amalfi-coast-without-a-car-1012128/)

Pawleys Apr 21st, 2014 02:11 PM

Need help with Transportation on the Amalfi coast without a car

In September we (5 of us) are staying in Ravello for 3 nights after two on Capri. We plan to ferry from Capri to Amalfi and take a cab to Ravello. Day two we want to tour Positano in the A M then have lunch at San Pietro,then get back to Amalfi (how?) before heading back to Ravello. The final day is not planned, suggestions? I've seen Pompeii before, what about Paestum or something closer like Vietri and other villages. We would need a driver for this, I guess. Nothing is in stone at this point and I would love suggestions.

Carla Apr 21st, 2014 02:25 PM

The Amalfi Coast is served by a very good bus system. You can get a bus pass and travel all you want for the time you are there at a very reasonable price. It's easy to navigate since it basically goes up and down the Amalfi Coast road. You can get to Paestum by bus as well, although getting to and from will require a little bit of research. If you want to splurge on the convenience of a driver, there are plenty to choose from. Check at the tourist office in Amalfi. We spent a week on the Amalfi coast three years ago and always used the bus system, even to Paestum.

bvlenci Apr 21st, 2014 02:50 PM

The buses on the Amalfi Coast can be very crowded in high season; September is the very height of high season.

There is also boat service between some of the towns.

WWK Apr 21st, 2014 03:18 PM

There is boat service to and from Positano and Amalfi, but I am not sure of the fall schedule. The ride takes about 20+ minutes. Or, if you're adventurous, you can arrange a water taxi to take you back to Amalfi from Positano at the Positano town dock kiosk.

Of course you can also hire a driver. We used Guemar Travel, based in Sorrento this year for transfers up and down the coast, and I'd highly recommend them. We've also used tourofitaly.com for various trips. And francomarrapese.com gets good reviews here online.

Not sure why you want to have lunch at San Pietro, given all the other- IMHO- much better options, but of course that's your choice.

WWK Apr 21st, 2014 03:20 PM

BTW, I avoid the buses whenever we can on the AC. The boat or of course a private driver is a much saner and more relaxing way to go, if you can do it.

PalenQ Apr 21st, 2014 03:23 PM

I loved the bus ride - very thrilling - more than in a car and you mix with locals - and they only cost a few euros - they go constantly - if you just go say Positano to Amalfi what's the rush - on this sinuous two-lane coastal road cars can't go no faster.

starrs Apr 21st, 2014 03:29 PM

Private driver -
www.francescomarrapese.com

kja Apr 21st, 2014 04:19 PM

Paestum is wonderful! The route I took was: Bus from Ravello to Amalfi, bus to Salerno, train to Paestum. Be sure to buy your return ticket before leaving Salerno, as there is no ticket office in Paestum (or at least there wasn't when I was there). Do make time for the museum at Paestum -- it holds some very special pieces. Enjoy!

WWK Apr 21st, 2014 07:04 PM

I love mixing with the locals, but the SITA buses aren't my first choice for doing that. They are crowded, hot, and often delayed.Not my idea of fun!

Pawleys Apr 22nd, 2014 04:58 AM

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I think we'll use taxi's, drivers and maybe hire a boat one day. I'll check the ones you suggested.
San Pietro was suggested by a friend for a wonderful lunch with a gorgeous view. Do you have a better suggestion. Will we want to have dinner all 3 nights in Ravello? On the map the road there looks pretty precipitous for night time driving.

ekc Apr 22nd, 2014 06:49 AM

I think lunch at San Pietro sounds wonderful - the views from the terrace are amazing. I would have a taxi take you from Positano to San Pietro, then you can either taxi back to Positano and catch the ferry from Positano to Amalfi (my choice), or taxi from San Pietro to Amalfi/Ravello.

If you want to venture out of Ravello for dinner, I can highly recommend Lido Azzuro in Amalfi. We had a fantastic dinner there a couple of years ago, on the terrace overlooking the water. Although I would not want to drive the road between Amalfi and Ravello at night, the local taxi drivers are used to it!

Vietri is a short train ride away from Salerno, so you could easily see it on your way back from Paestum.

WWK Apr 22nd, 2014 07:44 AM

I'm not trying to be rude, but the few times we've eaten at San Pietro we weren't wowed by the food, and found it pretentious. Yes, the terrace has a gorgeous view, but so do many other places on the AC.

One of our favorite lunch places is LO GUARACINO, on the path that leads from the Positano town dock to Fornillo Beach. It is up a small staircase set in the cliff and has endless water views and excellent food.

On the beach, we really like Bucca di Bacco which has beach views and very good food.

Midway between town and beach, we've had great, simple lunches at IL CAPITANO, which also has beautiful water views and a friendly staff.

And for drinks only, I'd highly recommend Hotel Poseidon, which is midway between beach and the top of town. The views from its restaurant/pool terraces of beach and town are not to be missed!