Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help with train ticket from Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-train-ticket-from-vienna-233206/)

JeannetteC Jan 6th, 2008 06:05 PM

Need help with train ticket from Vienna

Using the OBB web site, I tried to buy a train ticket from Vienna to Budapest. I can see the Vienna/Budapest schedule without a problem. When I click on the button to buy the ticket on-line, a new screen appears with my Vienna departure station but a destination of "Linz Hauptbahnhof." There is a pull-down menu of possible destinations and none of them are Budapest or "Keleti" (the international train station in Budapest).

I emailed OBB to ask what to do but, so far, no reply. Can you help? Thanks.

Jeannette

Musicteacher Jan 6th, 2008 06:57 PM

I just tried it and the pull-down list of destinations DID include Budapest. I don't really know what is happening. Perhaps you should try it again.

JeannetteC Jan 6th, 2008 07:54 PM

I was so excited that you found "Budapest" as a destination that I immediately tried again. On my computer, there's no Budapest. It goes from "Buchs SG" to "Burgfried". I read and re-read every "B" and scrolled through all the other letters of the alphabet without luck.

If you found it, I can't imagine why I can't find it. OBB must think I'm crazy. The web site won't let me type in "Budapest" -- I must use a pull down menu. I guess I'll have to call them and struggle through! Thanks.

Jeannette

ira Jan 7th, 2008 12:44 AM

Hi JC,

When I clicked on ticket and Price for the end of January, it brought me to a new window (in German) and allowed me to go through the booking for Vienna to Budapest.

How long will you be in Vienna? You can buy your ticket when you get there.

You could buy all of your tickets at any major train station Europe.

((I))

Graziella5b Jan 7th, 2008 01:30 AM

As Ira says the easier way to get train tickets in Europe is to buy them in there. It is simpler and probably less expensive. All trains offer all kind of discounts that you can take advantage.

TimS Jan 7th, 2008 04:34 AM

Are you aware of the special SparScniene fare of 19€ for Vienna-Budapest? Book by phoning the OBB Call Center. Dial your country's international access code + 43 (country code for Austria) + (0)5-1717. Omit the intial zero which is only for calls originating in Austria. If SparSchiene tickets are gone, you can book a standard fare ticket.

JeannetteC Jan 8th, 2008 07:10 AM

Thanks, all, for your help. I received two emails from OBB. The first email was confusing. It said it wasn't possible to book a valid ticket to Budapest on OBB's home page and it referred me to another web page. That email said that I would not be able to print out the ticket (as advertised) because it must be mailed.

The second email said I could buy a ticket to Budapest and print it out. It referred me to a German web page -- perhaps the page Ira saw. The web page allows me to buy a ticket to Budapest no more than two months in advance.

I'll call and ask about the discount tickets to Budapest. I've heard that there may also be a discounted fare that includes a Budapest Card upon arrival in Budapest. I want the ticket for June so I'll have to wait or buy it there.

I was trying to save time and ensure a seat reservation because I've heard that some people can't get seats in the summer if they buy at the last minute.

Jeannette

shangrila Jan 10th, 2008 05:10 AM

Jeanette, you can also try www.elvira.hu which is the train web page for Hungary. You can enter Vienna to BP and vice versa.

dutyfree Feb 17th, 2008 03:25 PM

I am interested in doing the same train tickets. When I plug in the date (feb.28th) they only offer two options to get to Budapest-morning and late evening. My concern is that if I wait till we get there we won't be able to get any train till the late night one. Any ideas?

J62 Feb 17th, 2008 03:40 PM

When I look on oebb.at I see trains at ##:52 every 2hrs (7:52, 9:52, etc all day long.)

From Vienna to Budapest takes 3hrs, no changes required.