after a very much loved first trip to Italy and France last year, we are starting to plan a trip back again (yay!!!)
will be in sept/october
So ... my thoughts so far
- Fly into Milan
- stay overnight in milan (flight arrives around 9pm)
- see the last supper and duomo in the morning, then train to Sondrio in the afternoon
- 7 nights in Sondrio (family there, and they will arrange itinerary for this part)
- Family will take us to Tirano, where we board the Bernina Express to Chur, then continue on to Lucerne.
- 4 nights in Lucerne
- Train to Interlaken for 3 nights in Interlaken
- Train to Florence for 6 nights in Florence
- train to Rome for 5 nights in Rome.
We will have an 8 yr old with us ... so happy with a slower pace, and to do day trips from Florence and Rome rather than moving around all the time.
My questions are mainly about the swiss section, as I am ok with the italy section for the moment.
So - my questions
- any better ideas on itinerary flow?
- train travel - last time we purchased prems in italy as I am happy to lock in times and dates. Do you get prems in Switzerland? or do I need a Swiss Pass?
- if I get a Swiss Pass, how to book the Interlaken - Florence section? Do I do just the Swiss part with the pass and book tickets for the Italy part?
- what is a swiss half fare card? do I need one?
- stay in Interlaken, or a smaller town further up the mountains?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP Setup 1 :855 :843:8475 Install Err0r Tec*h Supp0rt HP Printer 24by7
- 2 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 3 Barcelona tour option help please
- 4 New Years in France
- 5 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 6 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 7 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 8 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 9 Which Aran Island??
- 10 Mifi rentals for Portugal
- 11 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 12 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 13 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 14 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 15 Easter Week in Italy
- 16 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 17 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 18 UK's Cornrwall Polzeath spring base
- 19 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 20 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 21 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 22 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 23 1st time to Europe
- 24 My trip to Prague
- 25 Connecting trains in Chambery