Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help with St Louis en L'Ile GPS Problem (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-st-louis-en-lile-gps-problem-867916/)

Travelbound44 Nov 27th, 2010 07:24 AM

Need help with St Louis en L'Ile GPS Problem

My wife and I will be in Paris starting Dec 17 for 11 days. We purchased a GPS and have been saving addresses for restaurants and places of interest. For some reason, everything that is located on St Louis En L'Ile says "Street Not Found". We have even put in Berthillion and even that is not found or located. We know it's an island but use Paris as the city. Have tried everything and are frustrated. If anyone in Paris (Kerouac) has a GPS and can figure out how to store places on the Island, please ease our pain.

adrienne Nov 27th, 2010 07:35 AM

It might ease your pain to know that the island is very tiny and you could hardly get lost. There is one main street where there are shops and restaurants and you can stroll from one end to the other in 5 minutes or less (probably a 1 minute brisk walk from one end to the other).

Travelbound44 Nov 27th, 2010 08:00 AM

I should have put that info in original post. We have been there before. It's just frustrating that we can't save any locations on the L'Ile and don't know why.

Gretchen Nov 27th, 2010 08:22 AM

Isn't it l'Ile St. Louis? Might make a big difference.

Gretchen Nov 27th, 2010 08:24 AM

And would you need to specify the l'Ile? Just the street address and arrondisement?

grandmere Nov 27th, 2010 08:26 AM

St. Louis-en-l'Ile is the name of the main street on the Ile St-Louis.

Dukey1 Nov 27th, 2010 08:27 AM

There are TWO of those islands in the Seine, right? Might help to specify which one but I don't understand why a common street address IN Paris, whether it just happens to be on one of those islands or not, would make any difference.

MoonGirl Nov 27th, 2010 08:33 AM

Have you tried searching for both St. and Saint?

J62 Nov 27th, 2010 08:37 AM

You can just enter the actual GPS coordinates that find online from somewhere like google maps or google earth.

48.85 something, 2.35 something

StCirq Nov 27th, 2010 08:40 AM

There are two islands, yes, but only one named Ile Saint-Louis. The other is Ile de la Cité.

At any rate, it's hard to imagine anyone not being able to find anything on Ile Saint-Louis. It's about the size of a back yard.

And Berthillon has only one "i" in it.

Travelbound44 Nov 27th, 2010 08:47 AM

Yes to all of the above. We have tried St and Saint. I use the addresses from their website or Trip Advisor reviews. I put in just the name of a Hotel, restaurant, etc and nothing comes up. Have not tried cordinates, but will. Any of you have a GPS with Europe maps? Please try and see if you get anything.

Travelbound44 Nov 27th, 2010 08:59 AM

StCirq, I am determined to have a post that you will not be able to correct my spelling:)

StCirq Nov 27th, 2010 09:02 AM

Was just thinking maybe the correct spelling would make a difference:)

kerouac Nov 27th, 2010 09:22 AM

Rue Saint Louis en l'Ile is the backbone of the island, running the entire length of this nevertheless very short place. With or without a GPS, there is no problem at all to find any address on that street.

TPAYT Nov 27th, 2010 09:30 AM

I'm just curious---Why do you need this on your GPS? You've been there before and I can't imagine trying to drive or park on Ile St. Louis.

janisj Nov 27th, 2010 09:44 AM

"<i>I'm just curious---</i>"

Me too . . .

I can't fathom needing/wanting a GPS to locate any address on either island.

But maybe for some, just using the gadgetry is part of the fun?

nytraveler Nov 27th, 2010 09:50 AM

I'm curious about who would walk around with a GPS on an island the size of a city block. Don;t see how you could possibly get lost or not find anyplace. Personally, I don't understand using a GPS for walking anyway (they're wrong so often and miss all sorts of things like entrances and exits to parks etc - since they;re made for cars). What's the matter with just walking - with a small map if you're not sure of destination. (I hope you're not planning on driving in Paris - which is an exercise in futility - esp when it comes time to park the car.)

Travelbound44 Nov 27th, 2010 11:11 AM

OK, I understand the size of the Island. I already know where everything is. I was just playing with my new toy and can't understand why the only area that can't be found is the Island. I have preset all the restaurants, points of interest, churches, parks and other stuff. I just don't understand why the Island is playing hard to get. If anyone has a GPS with Europe maps, PLEASE try it and see what you get. Thanks for all the responses. I thought only my wife knew I could be an idiot:)

Gretchen Nov 27th, 2010 11:16 AM

Have you tried just entering the ADDRESS. The STREET?

Gretchen Nov 27th, 2010 11:18 AM

Berthillon
31 Rue St Louis en l'ile
75004 Paris, France