Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   need help with planning trip to budapest, prague,berlin (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-planning-trip-to-budapest-prague-berlin-1095130/)

sneha_831 Apr 15th, 2016 09:21 PM

need help with planning trip to budapest, prague,berlin

Hi Guys,
My husband and I are planning our first visit to Europe. We are in our late 20s. Our interests would be exploring the night life, and looking at beautiful places and getting a good "feel" of the city. We are not much into history,art and culture(though we wouldn't mind visiting a museum or two).
We had earlier planned Budapest-Vienna-Prague. But I wasn't too keen on Vienna-I would like to replace it with Berlin. I think it would be nice to visit a modern German city after Budapest and Prague.
Below is the tentative itenerary that I've been working on. Since this is our first trip to Europe, I'd love to have a few pointers on whether it is do-able and what we should change. Also any suggestions on the must visits?

Day 1: Arrive in Berlin
Day 2: Berlin
Day 3: Berlin
Day 4: Berlin
Day 5: Berlin to Prague morning train-reach Prague around 1PM
Day 6: Prague
Day 7: Prague.Overnight train to budapest
Day 8: Budapest
Day 9: Budapest
Day 10: Depart from Budapest

Also, Im a little confused about whether I should do Berlin-Prague-Budapest or Budapest-Prague Berlin-I would like the beginning of the trip to be little fact paced, and end it on a slow paced relaxed note. Also, I probably would want to visit the best city at the end.

tonfromleiden Apr 16th, 2016 12:30 AM

I'd start in Berlin, which is easier to handle than Budapest, if only for the language (German has some common ground with English; Hungarian has none whatsoever).

nubbyrose Apr 16th, 2016 01:14 AM

I visited Berlin in January and loved it. It's not beautiful though. Potsdam is beautiful but that's outside of the city. You probably will enjoy Berlin's night life but you need to adjust your expectations when it comes to looking at beautiful places.

Daken Apr 19th, 2016 06:59 AM

"whether I should do Berlin-Prague-Budapest or Budapest-Prague Berlin"

not sure whether it matters to you, but Budapest-Prague-Berlin by train can be a bit cheaper if compared to Berlin-Prague-Budapest ;)

Sofi40 Apr 22nd, 2016 11:57 AM

Hi, I am from Budapest and yes we speak english! Perhaps the elder genetation not but if you meet somebody under 40 he will speak..
For night life there are thousands of bars, pubs and parties, always full of young people. During the summer many open-air places to have a drink and music.
And there are also many nice places to visit. Even if not too much interrested in culture you can go up to the castle to admire the panorama or just stroll along the Danube riverside...
And, there are night parties in summer in the Szechenyi thermal bath!

PalenQ Apr 22nd, 2016 01:19 PM

Consider a short 2-3 hour stop in beautiful Dresden on the way to Prague - the Florence on the Elbe.

South of Dresden the train tracks along the Elbe Valley with awesome red sandstone cliffs topped by a few old forts and castles - sit on the east side of the train to nab the best views.

for lots about trains and overnight trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. Night trains ain't for everyone - especially those who are noise-challenged as there is always a modicum of noise both from inside and outside the train. But I've ridden literally hundreds of night trains and for me at least no problem- bring any beverage or food you want on board - a little vino can help sleep-challenged folks get some nods.