We are planning a trip this August ( I know, it's right around the corner), my first European trip, along with my husband and 2 kids (11 and 7).
We plan to spend 4-5 nights in Paris, and then another 4-5 nights in Switzerland.
Our plan is as follows:
Fly into Paris. In Paris, we plan to rent an apartment. Reading through some great input by other Fodorites, it sounds like (for first timers) the 6th is the best area, followed by the 7th and 5th. I've looked through some listings on VRBO, but would appreciate some feedback from you guys on the location before I start contacting owners.
From Paris, we can take the train to Geneva, and then rent a car. My husband has been to Switzerland before and thinks that driving provides a lot of flexibility in stopping by quaint Swiss towns, and moving around in general. Would love to get your feedback on car vs. train.
From Geneva, we can drive to the BO. Again we would love to rent an apartment, but I have not found much information for renting in this area. We plan to have a base and move around from there. I have seen hotel suggestions for Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald. From what I've read, Grindelwald is more livelier than Murren or Wengen. Would love some suggestions for a base location here and rental apartments. Spend 3-4 nights in BO (we may take a day trip to Lucerne, if that's possible), and then drive to Zurich (spend a night there), before taking a flight back home.
Does this sound like a good start? I think creating this shell is the most important, and figuring out things to do and places to go is the easier part.
Would love to hear your feedback. Do let me know if I can provide any additional information for you to help me better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 2 Help with 11 night Portugal Itinerary
- 3 Personalized Christmas Gift Ideas
- 4 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 5 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 6 Drivers license when renting a scooter on Tenerife
- 7 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 8 10 Days in Austria
- 9 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 10 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 11 What happened to Sundriedtopepo
- 12 Greece in end October
- 13 Champagne Tours
- 14 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 15 GTG Paris December 2017
- 16 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 17 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 18 Russian-American Relations: safe to travel? Get Visas?
- 19 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 20 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 21 Le Marche Research Help
- 22 Help with Venice Trip?
- 23 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 24 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 25 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
Need help with Paris & Switzerland trip in August (~10 days)