Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need help with Paris itinerary for 13 and 14 July

Need help with Paris itinerary for 13 and 14 July

Jun 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Need help with Paris itinerary for 13 and 14 July

I am traveling to Paris with my family (husband, 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter). We arrive the morning of the 13th, which is a Monday. I thought we could use that day to simply walk around the city, as this the first visit for my children. We will have museum passes, and if we start them that day, will have the option of visiting one. We are staying in an apartment in the 1st.

The next day, Tuesday, is the Fete Nationale and I understand that many restaurants will be closed but that some markets will be open early in the morning. Does it make sense to: simply head out to a market and buy food in the morning, stash it in the apartment, then go out to the parade on the Champs Elysees, rest in the afternoon (we'll be hideously jet-lagged), then go out to picnic and watch the fireworks that night? Are any museums or attractions (Catacombs, Eiffel Tower) likely to be open that day, given that it is a Tuesday and a national holiday?

Do you have any suggestions for other things we should consider doing on those two days? (We will have a total of 6 days in Paris and already plan to see the Cluny museum, the Jewish museum, the Louvre--and yes, my children are strange and do like museums and history. My son also just likes to play, so would welcome suggestions on that, as long as they do not involve Disneyland!

Thanks
Jun 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Two of our favorites are Luxembourg Gardens(great place to play) and The Carnavalet Museum in The Marais. Make that three, Place Vosges also in The Marais.

Your kids might like Gelato from Amorino(many locations). We go to the one on I'le St. Louis. Every cone is made in the shape of a flower.

Search this Thread