Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go for day trip from Barcelona to France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. First time traveling to Europe. I will be in Barcelona for 5 days and always wanted to visit Paris. I can tell it is to far for a day trip. I have been looking at the map trying to figure out where to go in France that would give the "french" experience but be around 2-3 hour train ride.
PLEASE help.
Also any comments on what to do in Barcelona would be appreciated too.
Thanks!!
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 08:36 PM

The closest is Perpignan, 1:20 on the train; Narbonne about 2.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 01:52 AM

My Top 10 France (Paris) Sights to visit

(1) Tuileries Gardens (summer fun fair with Ferris wheel, carousel, etc.)
(2) Louvre Museum (Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Venus, etc.)
(3) Musee d’’Orsay (the Impressionists)
(4) Ste. Chapelle (gorgeous stained glass)
(5) Cluny Museum (Musee de Moyen Age) (Lady & the Unicorn tapestries)
(6) Luxembourg Gardens (people and fun)
(7) Rodin Museum (The Thinker, The Kiss, etc.. nice tea room)
(8) Notre Dame Cathedral
(9) Latin Quarter walk
(10) Eiffel Tower and area (can get the Batoboat here for tour)

Barcelona:
Whilst the city is walk-able from the port, it isn't the most interesting use of your time if you have just one day (how long have you got?)
The taxi journey from the ship to the bottom of the Ramblas wouldn't be very long and would save you some time to enjoy the sights ( http://kiwitaxi.com/Spain/Barcelona+Airport ) .
The Ramblas is a must - a leisurely stroll will take an hour by the time you have stopped to look at the shops, stalls, etc.
As you walk UP the Ramblas, the old town - Gothic Quarter - is on your right and that can take a while to walk through if it's crowded!
There are several distinct tourist areas really - the Ramblas and Gothic Quarter, The Sagrada Familiar cathedral, The Gaudi buildings up and around Pasieg De Gracia (Casa Batlo and Casa Mila are a MUST! and the Park Guell which is way up Pasiege de Gracia to the North and a fair-old-walk!
Away to the South-West is the Parc De Montjuic too - this leads up to the Poble Espanol (a sort of Spanish theme park of spanish villages and architecture with loads of tourist shops!)
Over to the North-East, you have the Olympic village (the residential bit which is now a big leisure facility with bars, a marina, beaches, shops etc.)
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 02:43 AM

Collioure is a very easy lovely day trip from Barcelona, just across the border, that I think you will enjoy. It used to be the preferred French nearby town of the old VISA RUN for expats.. just a great place.

photos:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...rance&fr=aaplw
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Collioure is a pretty little town, but a bit complicated to reach by public transport. You will take the train from Barcelona Sants to Perpignan (1:21) where you have an hour to sroll through town before the train to Collioure leaves. Total travelling time 2:41.

Or you take the direct train to Nîmes. It takes 3:26, but you will be rewarded with some of the best Roman monuments at all (a completely intact temple, a 95% intact amphitheater and more - better than anything you find in Rome) and the character of a typical French city - with boulevards, street cafés etc.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:08 AM

Hi 2015europeyippe,

My favourite is Collioure, beautiful small town facing the Mediterranean. Although I also liked Nimes and the Roman amphitheater is amazing, Collioure is magical.

To get to Collioure you change trains in Llança, you might want to stop there for a while and see some Costa Brava! Although to see both places it would be better to split the day trip in to 2 days...

About Barcelona, it's a bit difficult, would appreciate some information on what are your interests and what you would like to do.
- Gaudi, definitely. For Sagrada Familia I would take a guided tour, there is so much to see and so many details!
- Stroll along the waterfront and la Barceloneta, seafood restaurants here
- Gothic Quarter for some shopping. Walk around to discover the squares and lots of interesting places. Don't worry about getting lost, there are lots of narrow streets so after walking what seems like a mile, you just ask and will find you are just a few minutes from La Rambla.
- El Born QUarter for local design shops and tapas
- Montjuic for the views and museums
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:20 AM

"To get to Collioure you change trains in Llança"
No, coming from Spain you change trains in Cerbère.
Coming from France you change trains in PortBou.