Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with logistics from Verona to Tirano to catch Bernina Express.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fabulous Fodorites I need some expert guidance. Thank you in advance you are all always so helpful.
Here is my problem, we are wanting to take the Bernina Express train as part of our final leg of 3 1/2 week Italian journey. We are planning to be in Verona for 2 nights then drive up to Tirano to catch train . My thought was to just take small bags and leave most luggage in Verona. Train to St. Moritz, spend one night, train back to Tirano, drive back to Verona and collect bags. We could either spend another night there or head to our final destination of Venice. Is there a more logical way to make this journey?? I have tried to look at doing the whole thing by train but seems we would have to back track to Milan. Another consideration was to leave bags somewhere between Verona and Tirano then return there to spend night before heading to Venice. We will have a car but could leave it a variety of places and just train the rest of the way. I am open to any suggestion. And thank you again for your time.
P.S. I have also read of different trains back over the alps so as not to repeat the journey. Any thoughts on that?
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM

Why the car--where does it fit?
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

We will be arriving in Verona from Lucca where we will have used car for day trips. Is there a better way to do this? Certainly open to your thoughts Bob as I know you have covered much of this territory. Should say there will be 7 of us traveling together at this point.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 09:53 AM

Hard to say with 7 people---are you using one big van?
Frankly, seems like too much hassle to me. From Verona I would go the the Dolomites for 3 nites--the Val Gardena--and then drop the car at Venice airport driving via Cortina.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes we will have van. I know it sounds crazy just a whim we got that now everyone is excited about I read we could do this as a day(albeit long) trip from Lugano or Como. That would be a possibility . I will look into Val Gardena, I have always wanted to see Cortina as well. Thanks for the suggestion.