Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
Notices

Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary

Jun 26th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary

Getting a late start organizing our itinerary for late September/early October, and need Fodorites' advice on staying at Hotel Santa Anita as base for 5 night stay in the Liguria area/whether its easily accessible to reach by train from Malpensa/ whether boats will be running in early Oct., etc.
We fly Portland (OR) direct to AMS (mileage tickets-the closest we could get to Italy!) and plan to immediately fly on to Milano. We'd like to end up ideally by train in Santa Margherita Ligure that same day, and use SML as base for exploring Camogli, Portofino, and the CT before training onward to Lucca and the rest of our trip.

Are my plans realistic? Is the Hotel Santa Anita as pleasant as it sounds in online reviews? Any other suggestions? Please share your experiences-I have gotten lots of great advice on this forum over the years! Thanks.
Jun 26th, 2016, 08:23 PM

KLM has direct service from Amsterdam to Genoa - looks like the connection might be slightly tight - about 1:35 to connect in Amsterdam, which is plenty of time if everything is on time. Amsterdam's Schiphol airport is huge but really efficient. Of course, you could be late and miss the flight. Your "insurance" could be a later flight on to Pisa or Milan. But I've done connections from Amsterdam on my own a number of times, including just last month. I had 1:50 to make my connection; of course, my flight into Amsterdam was on time but my connection left two hours late!

(To get a better price on that KLM flight, you might have to book it as a round trip or open jaw, even if you have to throw away the return ticket.)

By the way, you chose the BEST way to fly from Portland to Europe - I always try to get that Delta flight when I can. It's an awesome flight. Your only other real option in September is connecting somewhere in the US, which not only adds time but more risk of getting to Europe a day late if there's some major weather snafu or something.
Jun 27th, 2016, 02:22 AM

Both, Delta and KLM sell Portland dp 13.32 - Genoa ar 11.45 flights with a plane change at AMS.
If you fly with easyjet AMS dp 13.15 to MXP, be aware that you will land in Terminal 2. From there, the best way to reach Milano Centrale railway station is the bus (NOT the train).
Buses between MXP T2 and Milano C run every 10-15 min or so (3 companies); journey time 40 - 60 min. But whatever you may do, you will miss the direct Milano C dp 16.05 train and most probably the cheap regionale dp 16.25 with a train change at Genoa too. The next departue wil then be the intercity train Milano Centrale dp 18.05 - Sta Margherita Ligure ar 20.18.
You may also leave Milano Centrale at 17.05, change trains at Genova PP and arrive at Sta Margherita a few minutes earlier (20.04).
Jun 27th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Andrew and neckervd for your replies, especially neckervd for the detailed transit info (sounds like we'll arrive SML fairly late). We've flown through AMS before so know that piece well enough, it's the rest I need help with.

Search this Thread