Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help with itinerary...West, Southwest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-itinerary-west-southwest-828542/)

Mycuppajava Feb 27th, 2010 10:47 AM

Need help with itinerary...West, Southwest

Have a trip to Ireland planned for April 23-May 1.

Our itinerary starts with a night in Ennis at Elmdale B&B and then next morning off to Dubhlinn in Doolin for a night. (Cliffs of Moher, Burrens)

May 25, Dingle for three nights (SleaHead Drive)

May 28, Driving to Killarney National Park area for two nights
May 30...to Kenmare - Skellig Islands or something near this area
May 1...Back to Ennis-Shannon airport area...to turn in car and stay at Park Inn

Please feel free to make suggestions.

Thanks so much from TN USA

Ricardo_215 Feb 27th, 2010 12:36 PM

Do you enjoy hill-walking? There would be plenty of walks there to keep you occupied, some adventurous like Carrauntoohil (Ireland's highest)& Brandon Mountain (our favourite)and lots of more gentle walks. There are several guidebooks available, just bring some walking boots, a rucksack or 2 & rain gear. You'll probably need the rain gear anyway!

Mycuppajava Feb 27th, 2010 12:43 PM

I love to walk but not all hills. lol Thinking of staying in the Dubhlinn while in Doolin. Does anyone have reviews on that? And is my above itinerary too little or too much?

Thanks.

jefe Feb 27th, 2010 08:07 PM

I am probably in the minority, but I think that I would get a bit bored in Dingle for 3 nights. I'd consider adding one on down in the Killarney/Kenmare area. Lots of things to see there (or if you want to just relax and hang out Kenmare is just as relaxing as Dingle), and that extra day might give you a good buffer for the Skelligs in case of bad weather.

What else have you planned, or what things do you like to do? Might help someone on the forums point out a few options for you. Even so, sounds like a great start!

Itallian_Chauffer Feb 28th, 2010 06:33 AM

Any area worth seeing is PROBABLY worth seeing for a week, but I'm with jefe on this one --

I would cut a day from Dingle and add it to Kenmare, making the the extra day available for touring Healy Pass and Beara.
Even though Killarney and Kenmare are only about 45 minutes apart, it DOES make sense to split time between them.

However, I would suggest that you consider COMBINING nights 1 & 2 into ONE location -- either Ennis OR Doolin -- they are only about an hour's drive apart. If you want rural, go with Doolin. If a town, with activities is more appealing, go with Ennis. BOTH have impeccable Music Credentials.

My personal preference is Ennis, but that's ME.

That would give you four, 2-night stays, yet still cover the same areas.

Bob

GreenDragon Mar 1st, 2010 10:58 AM

I have the same quandary for my next trip - Ennis or Doolin? We've 3 nights there, and I've stayed in Ennis. It's a nice city, but we probably want to stay in a smaller town or village. But we've been to Doolin. Too small for 3 nights?